canyon headset re-grease

koontz
koontz Posts: 119
edited April 2018 in Workshop
I have a canyon endurace with the acros headset, The headset is a little rough sounds like it just needs some lube and cleaning out, I took of the acros headset and spacers and the circlip, but cannot take of the bearings do you need special tool for this.

Comments

• wiwaxy
    wiwaxy Posts: 16
    No, you do not need any special tools. If they do not come out easily (i.e. A tap with a piece of wood or similar) you will probably find, as I did, that simple regrease will not do and you will need to replace the bearing(s).
  • koontz
    How do you get them out with a piece of wood, they sit inside the frame, not to positive about banging on my carbon frame with a mallet and piece of wood.
  • wiwaxy
    Carefully. If they are still well greased you can extract them by hand. If not, you'll have to tap them out somehow. I used a piece of wooden dowel ....gently. The new ones with fresh grease were easy to get in and out again.
  • koontz
    These are press fitted to the frame so not sure how you can just knock them out?, Do you have same frame as me?.
  • wiwaxy
    Mine is a Canyon Ultimate CF SL9. Headset is Acros Ai70 which is not a press fit.
    Which Acros headset have you got on the Endurace? Have you checked out the Acros.de website?
    Apologies for any confusion but can only describe what I did with mine.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    You do not have to take the bearings out to regrease them, if you do you'll need a bearing press to press them back in. Unless you want to replace the bearings, just leave them in place. All you have ti so is to take the plastic cover off, degrease, and pack in new grease with a grease gun. (If you do not have one, I recommend getting a syringe/dental syringe, they are dirt cheap but work really well in a compact area).
  • koontz
    Andymaxy wrote:
    You do not have to take the bearings out to regrease them, if you do you'll need a bearing press to press them back in. Unless you want to replace the bearings, just leave them in place. All you have ti so is to take the plastic cover off, degrease, and pack in new grease with a grease gun. (If you do not have one, I recommend getting a syringe/dental syringe, they are dirt cheap but work really well in a compact area).

So am getting to different answers one says you dont have to press the bearing back in and you say I do, will maybe take to local bike guru.
  • GT29
    GT29 Posts: 53
    You dont need to remove the bearing to re-grease them!

To simplify:

You have the frame, you have the outside bit of the bearing, some balls and the inner bit of the bearing. The balls have a little cover over them. To just re-grease the bearing you just pop the little cover off and clean out & grease up in there.

There is no need to remove the bearing and no need to grease the frame surface as a service, thats only when fitting/replacing a bearing.
  • riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • GT29
    GT29 Posts: 53
    redscouse wrote:

Useful for replacing bearings... but OP just wants to service them!
  • koontz
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, can get to the bearings wap very hard to remove the fork for some reason, anyway I have cleaned the bearings and put some grease in there but they are just as rough, All I did was wd40 the bearings clean with rag then pack grease in is this wrong?. Would be better if the ball bearings were loose and not in a cage.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If they are feeling rough after cleaning them up and regreasing it sounds like they need replacing.

Both my bikes' headsets have cartridge bearings that I can fish out with my fingers and just drop back in. If ever they become rough I'll simply replace them with more of the same; the oldest ones are 11 years and counting.

Sorry I can't help you with the specifics of yours I'm afraid
  • koontz
    No these are pressed in to the frame, but I can sort of clean them and re-grease, canyon have said these parts are wearable parts and get this ' ITS NOT UNUSUAL TO REPLACE HEADSETS AFTER 3 MONTHS', seems like a very short period to me unless Im doing 300 miles a week in the rain, which Im not. Anyway they quote me £57.90 for the bearings inc delivery, problem is they are pressed fit so would need another £30.00 at least so basically £100.00 for something that might only last 3 months according to them, even though I have a boardman cx bike that has done more miles and the headset is working perfectly after 5 years.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    3 months?? Bloody hell, what are they made of? Cottage cheese? Or caviar possibly judging by the price?

You'd struggle to trash a decent headset in 3 months of constant CX racing or winter commuting without mudguards.

I have 2 bikes, one is 11 years old and the other 5. Never had to replace a headset bearing and they are still as smooth as Jennifer Aniston's @rse.
  • koontz
    Yeah I might try to de grease and re-lube again, but because these are pressed fitted to the frame I cant do a 100% job, bike still works fine just the steering sounds a bit rough.
  • i have the same headset on a 2013 cf slx. Press-fit into the frame. Got my replacement bearings from Kinetic Bearings:

https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/cat ... 70+Headset