Rebuild or buy new?

TCottle
TCottle Posts: 65
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I bought a tatty Voodoo Bizango off eBay well over a year ago now with intentions of fixing it up for the wife and learning a bit for myself on the way... but as with all intentions, they tend to get delayed!

It’s the yellow Bizango with the 2x10 drivetrain, I believe the new one is 1x11.

Anyway... there’s a list of a few things to do...

The front axle is knackered and won’t lock. It’s a q-loc axle off a Suntour Raidon, which is about £35-40 online for a new one. Does anyone know if it’s 15mm or 20mm off the top of their heads?

The fork itself feels a bit pants... I need to have a play with it.

It also needs converting to 1x10 as wife can’t understand multiple gears bless her... I have a new 10 speed cassette already, so just need narrow wide chain ring and some new bolts - say £40.

I think the rear mech is still good.

The brakes are completely shot... for reasons I do not understand, the previous owner changed the standard Shimano Deores to some bloody awful Avid Juicys...

I’d like to get another set of Deores - so probably another £100. M615’s seem to be sold out everywhere...Any other suggestions?

It also needs a new set of pedals and grips, another £50.

I think I need a couple of tools to get the job done too - say another £30.

I’ve already chucked two new tyres on it. So it’s getting on for wanting £250+ at the minute potentially...

That’s not to mention chips and scrapes... but still, I think it should be fine for the wife to pootle on and a chance for me to learn...

Should I throw some money at it and get some learning? Or cut my losses and buy a new Voodoo for £400 odd from Halfords and get a warranty and shiny new bits that are gonna work...?

Help! :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can be done a lot cheaper than you’ve put there, I mean a LOT.

Narrow wide chainrings start at £15 for example, the axle is 15mm and you can find them from £30 or try and figure what’s wrong first.

If it’s for light XC use get some Clark’s brakes, about £40 a set, have them on my commuter, not the best, but a match for an older Juicy, they’ve been on about 15 months now with no issues.

Pedals and grips for £50, for real?

My entire bike tool set cost less than £30.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TCottle
    I guess I’ve been a bit OTT with prices - I only had a quick look on CRC... but I’ve expanded my search further and found some cheaper bits like £15 N/W chain ring.

How are the Clarks brakes?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The front axle is 15mm but it is a strange axle - I don't know what it is called but it is a push through thing rather than a screw fit or a cam held one.

Anyway I've just scrapped a bizango because the threads in the frame for the bb were farked. I made it a 1*10 - good brakes and a range of NW. Forks work too. They are going in the bin nw. I've gpot a boardman with sram stuff so my spares are really no use. I live in Brandon near Thetford. You can collect the lot for free.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • TCottle
    Yeah it’s weird it’s called QLoc.

Damn dude that sucks. What exactly are you chucking out?

That’s very kind to offer but couldn’t you flog it on eBay and get some £££ for it?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    To get the thing out then liberally dose it with WD and unscrew the axle just a little and use a rubber mallet or bit of wood and hammer on the red end. Be careful not to completely uncrew it or it is really hard to reassemble and there is a spring which will fly off.

I'm getting rid of everything. The frame is finished and all the bits and spares are superfluous - CBA selling it - I've paid for my new bike and everything on it is different.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • TCottle
    I’ll PM you.
  • TCottle
    At least, I think I have sent a PM.