Bike Box?

jollygiant
jollygiant Posts: 117
edited May 2018 in The bottom bracket
Talk to me about bike boxes, the kind you pack your bike in and take on holiday abroad?

Up until now I've just hired a bike from wherever we are going but at about £150 for a few days the cost over a a couple of years adds up. So I'm thinking it would probably work out cheaper in the long run if I just took mine.

So what do you have thats good and ones that you had that are crap and to avoid?

I have a 2 XL Canyon Aeroad, so it has to the same size as an artic trailer!!

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    Bike Box Alan gets good reviews but they are quite expensive to buy.

Some bike shops have boxes they rent out (maybe a good option if you want to see how it goes), and Bike Box Alan rent out boxes directly.

Other brands available, haven't tried any myself...

If you're weighing up costs, remember to add in airline charges.
  • jollygiant
    From what I can see it would be about £30-50 on Europe flights.

I think I would rather buy one as it saves the hassle of going to get/ organise delivery of it.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    Probably not what you're after but I have one of these...

$_1.JPG

They are okay for the back of the car ect but I'd think twice before using it to take by plane (not enough protection). I bought it because I wanted to take my nike into the hotel room when i did the RideLondon a couple of year back, and I thought it was less likely to cause trouble when it's just 'luggage'.

The older I get, the better I was.

• aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    I second the Bike Box Alan - great item and worth the money if you can afford it.

I'm sure you can hire one from them too if that's easier for you
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    If you can afford it, and you know that you'll get the use of it then go straight for the Bikebox Alan. don't bother buying budget when you'll end up getting one anyway. My experience anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Probably not what you're after but I have one of these...

$_1.JPG

They are okay for the back of the car ect but I'd think twice before using it to take by plane (not enough protection). I bought it because I wanted to take my nike into the hotel room when i did the RideLondon a couple of year back, and I thought it was less likely to cause trouble when it's just 'luggage'.

I have one very similar and used it twice to France and once to Tenerife. No damage. Planning Tenerife again next January.

On all of the above I went with 6 others who mostly had soft bags and no-one had any issues. Pack it well.

One friend did the Marmot a few years ago and someone from the middle east had a Pinarello packed in hard case. The chainstays were snapped when he unpacked.

Toss a coin?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    bikeboxalan, used mine for 8-9 years now, still fine, it's the one i see most

my frame is big too, it fits ok, there are details on the bba site to help check size

there's also plenty of space to stash helmet, tools, other stuff

flight charges vary a lot, some will take it as part of standard baggage allowance, others have an extra fee, it also can vary with booking class/ff status
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Bike Box Alan, are really the three words you need to keep in mind. There’s no two ways about it, they are just about the best combination of form, function and value for money, out there.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bike-B ... lsrc=aw.ds

If you’re on a tight budget, I also have this.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-eva-bi ... 7412727005

Which works just fine, but I’ve not tested it with the ‘butch chucker trial’ at an airport as yet, I’ve only used it for transportation on a train.
  • pblakeney
    ^^^^
    I have one of these EVA boxes. Observations-
    They are good for 8-12 return trips. Mine is showing wear and will be replaced soon.
    Wheels rarely arrive true. I think the bag gets compressed with stacking.

Consider usage. Rarely, hire a BBA. Multiple trips, buy a BBA.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't forget to factor in the hassle of getting the bike box to and from the airport and then time in holiday rebuilding and packing away the bike.

Hiring a bike seems much simpler if it's available.
  • pblakeney
    cougie wrote:
    Don't forget to factor in the hassle of getting the bike box to and from the airport and then time in holiday rebuilding and packing away the bike.

Hiring a bike seems much simpler if it's available.
    Very expensive though if you want to equal your good bike. Also a lot to be said for riding a familiar bike, with the brakes on the “right” side.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    takes me less than 90 minutes to pack/unpack mine, could do it much faster if i weren't also taking the opportunity to clean bits while there's easy access and also see how much else i can stash in there, bottles, tools, spares, torque wrench, pedal spanner, chains etc. etc.

the gap is where the helmet goes, i fill up any remaining space with bags/bubble wrap so if something did come lose it'd be less likely to get bounced around

bba.jpg
  • Reckless I know, but I always fill bidons with stuff and utilise the bottle cages.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Definitely pays to pack the bike well if you take it with you. I know of someone who had his mech hanger break off in a hard box. Not what you want just before a race you've been preparing for for 6 months,
    Just having the expensive box doesn't mean it's safe..
  • sungod
    yep good packing is essential no matter what you use, i always take the rear mech off, i also take a spare hanger :)
  • pblakeney
    Looks like a tougher version of the EVA box.
    What appears to be missing is the central vertical strut to prevent compression.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • jollygiant
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Looks like a tougher version of the EVA box.
    What appears to be missing is the central vertical strut to prevent compression.
    Its in one of the pictures down the side.
    11437202-9514506615292617.jpg
  • pblakeney
    Fair enough. I missed that. :oops: If there is also a positive way of locating them then it is a bargain and will be on my shopping list. :D
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    jollygiant wrote:
    that pbk one is discounted by over 50%, clearly no takers at list price

it looks like one of a few bba 'clones' out there, but wrt "as good as"...

it's over 2kg kg heavier, the stiffening ribs don't look as deep, which maybe explains the extra weight, it looks like the two anti-crush bits go on the ends of the hubs using special skewers, again maybe two are used as the shell isn't as stiff?

it hasn't got the moulded handholds each side that make it easy for lugging on/off trains/vans etc.

no foam layer between bike and wheels, if you stow other stuff in there you may need to add some padding to stop thing hitting the spokes

...probably will be ok, just not as well designed
  • jollygiant
    sungod wrote:
    jollygiant wrote:
    that pbk one is discounted by over 50%, clearly no takers at list price

it looks like one of a few bba 'clones' out there, but wrt "as good as"...

it's over 2kg kg heavier, the stiffening ribs don't look as deep, which maybe explains the extra weight, it looks like the two anti-crush bits go on the ends of the hubs using special skewers, again maybe two are used as the shell isn't as stiff?

it hasn't got the moulded handholds each side that make it easy for lugging on/off trains/vans etc.

no foam layer between bike and wheels, if you stow other stuff in there you may need to add some padding to stop thing hitting the spokes

...probably will be ok, just not as well designed

I'm thinking for about £200 less than a BBA I could buy a thick sheet of foam and some ali tube to make a couple of extra supports.
  • I did the etape last year and while I was waiting for my bike box a bunch of dutch guys got off a flight, all dressed in Lycra. They had packed their bikes in cardboard boxes (the kind they come in new) and bubblewrap. They simply discarded all the packaging and rode out of Geneva airport and into the alps.
  • God knows how they got them back again but I did notice a fair amount of discarded packaging near the oversized luggage bit. Maybe its a thing with the Dutchies?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have a Buxum Tourmalet Not very cheap but very easy to move around and packing is a little easier than the BBA, weighs more than BBA. I tend to ship my bike using Bag Solo, comparable to Airline charges.
    https://www.bagsolo.com/
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    edited May 2018
    Beach balls are a good addition. Cheap to buy and, when partially, inflated act as cushions to keep the sides of the box/bag away from the bike. In my soft bag I put one inside each the triangles. Bought them 5 years ago for 50p each and they are still working.
  • jollygiant
    After watching this https://youtu.be/IXxT9m7yw30 open it up a bit. If it's good enough or the pro teams etc...
  • sungod
    wouldn't never make a decision on what those teams do, much of their stuff probably gets shipped cargo and handled better, plus they travel with plenty of spares

arriving back saturday night, i watched my bba being pulled off the oversize delivery belt by the handler and then simply dropped about half a metre to the floor, he looked a bit sheepish when he realised i'd seen what he did, but shows the level of 'care' you can expect, i've seen far worse happening to hold baggage