Aldi CO2 inflator - any good

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
ALdi have this on offer: https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-co2-inf ... 2209110400 for £5, and spare cartridges for another £5.

Does anyone have any experience with these and are they any good?

Comments

• I bought one of these - exactly the same - a few years ago. It's actually so good I've never had a puncture any time I've had it with me.

I keep thinking I should try the damn thing at home to see if it works, before the inevitable eventually happens.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I bought the inflator last autumn. Only used it once but was a bit disappointed as the cartridge only got my 23mm tyres up to about 60psi. That said it was enough to get me home.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I've had one of those and this is better https://www.decathlon.co.uk/co2-inflato ... 46099.html and not much more.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I bought one a few years ago and, although I only needed to use it a couple of times, I thought it worked so well that I bought another one the next time that they went on sale to leave in the saddlebag of another bike (but never had to use). They look the same as the one that you refer to and I like the way that it actually screws down on the valve and is very easy to control the Co2 flow. I have never actually measured the PSI after inflating but that's more likely to be a limitation of the Co2 cylinder used rather than the inflator head itself (assuming, of course, that there are no leaks in the latter).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I bought one last time around, works well and the cylinders get 25s to around 100 psi in my experience.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Also, whatever one you buy, don't forget to deflate and inflate the tube with air when you get a chance. Someone will probably come along and correct me soon but my understanding is that Co2 escapes from the tube quicker than air and is only therefore a stop gap.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Also, whatever one you buy, don't forget to deflate and inflate the tube with air when you get a chance. Someone will probably come along and correct me soon but my understanding is that Co2 escapes from the tube quicker than air and is only therefore a stop gap.

it does exactly that.