New tyres

Stubhoy
Stubhoy Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in Road general
Hi folks, first post so be gentle.
Bought a cube agree gtc second hand and looking to replace the tyres as there are a few gouges out them. What tyres would you recommend? Looking for ones that won’t puncture and have good grip as the cycle tracks round my way are in a bad way in places. Anyone point me in right direction please Stuart

Comments

• benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    If you're happy with the grip / punture resistance of the current tyres then stick with what you know!

If not gatorskins are always a popular tyre.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If you want tyres that grip, and are puncture resistant, Gatorskins are exactly the opposite, in my experience.If it’s a good grippy tyre with excellent puncture resistance, and resilience you’re after, Id recommend Schwalbe Durano plus tyres, in a 700cx25 size.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano ... ad-tyre-1/
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Popular choices seem to include:
    Continental GP 4 Season
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2
  • milemuncher1
    The Michelin Pro4 endurance are very good. The Gp4 seasons are dreadful, in my experience ( I don’t appreciate tyres that cost that much failing after only a few miles, due to carcass breakdown).
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've ridden both and prefer the Michelins - but I didn't have a big failure with the GP4 seasons.
  • +1 for Schwalbe Durano plus
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    The Michelin Pro4 endurance are very good. The Gp4 seasons are dreadful, in my experience ( I don’t appreciate tyres that cost that much failing after only a few miles, due to carcass breakdown).

I've ridden the 4 Seasons through the worst of two winters (and the whole of last year) and they're still going strong. I've had the sum total of one puncture with them, and that was in the middle of the winter before last when the roads where at their worst (and that was after getting about a puncture every few rides on the Ultra Sports that came with the bike, which is why I swapped). I'd recommend them.
  • Stubhoy
    Stubhoy Posts: 3
    Cheers for the replies folks, going to try the durano plus ones.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Gp4 seasons are dreadful, in my experience ( I don’t appreciate tyres that cost that much failing after only a few miles, due to carcass breakdown).
    Spouting nonsense as usual MM. How's the cadence doing? :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Few years back I used gp 4 seasons because other members of my club had good luck with them, I did not however. Back then they were cheaper but not one lasted more than 1000 miles. They holed or the sidewalks got damaged. Hands down they are the worst tyre I have ever used. I got more life out of Vittoria Corsa's. Gatorskins tried to kill me more than once with there lack of grip and while the wear rate was slow they punctured alot. I don't get on with schwalbe road tyres much at all. They lack the wet grip I desire. My reference point has always been the Vittoria pave tubular for grip. Tyre life span is an issue for me too with most brands.

Instead of asking what other people usem try different tyres until you find something you like. This approach involves alot if disappointed but you then get a better understanding of the different manufacturers approach to tyres.

For example the only tubed clincher I ever had any luck with is the challenge Strada Bianca. I got to wear a set out and that took a while.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Another vote for Pro 4 Endurances, fantastic tires.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Stubhoy wrote:
    My bike came with Schwalbe Luganos (cheap) which were OK, good enough grip in the wet and puncture resistant- 0 punctures in 1000 miles and have pulled out load of bits of glass from them which didn't get through the protection strip.

However, one of them randomly "kinked" and bulged towards the end of a ride for no apparent reason so I wouldn't buy again. I think the Duranos use the same puncture protection and are supposedly a better tyre. They're not too expensive to try it and if you don't like them get a different one next time.
  • milemuncher1
    Bungle73 wrote:

I've ridden the 4 Seasons through the worst of two winters (and the whole of last year) and they're still going strong. I've had the sum total of one puncture with them, and that was in the middle of the winter before last when the roads where at their worst (and that was after getting about a puncture every few rides on the Ultra Sports that came with the bike, which is why I swapped). I'd recommend them.

Good for you, you obviously didn’t push them too hard, they are shite.
  • milemuncher1
    Stubhoy wrote:

Good shout :D
  • milemuncher1
    Stubhoy wrote:
    My bike came with Schwalbe Luganos (cheap) which were OK, good enough grip in the wet and puncture resistant- 0 punctures in 1000 miles and have pulled out load of bits of glass from them which didn't get through the protection strip.

However, one of them randomly "kinked" and bulged towards the end of a ride for no apparent reason so I wouldn't buy again. I think the Duranos use the same puncture protection and are supposedly a better tyre. They're not too expensive to try it and if you don't like them get a different one next time.

The kink and bulge is a carcass failure, game over for a bike tyre.
  • milemuncher1
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Another vote for Pro 4 Endurances, fantastic tires.

They are that.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:

Good for you, you obviously didn’t push them too hard, they are shite.

Nobody pushes a tyre harder than you, right?
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Bit left field but I’ve been using these and love them. Easily as good as Continentals and very grippy. I have become disillusioned with Gatorskins as although they have fabulous puncture resistance, they have no grip....especially on Belgian cobbles.

Clement Strada LGG

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/clement- ... pi-700x25c