Specialized Levo - Broken tooth on cassette (SRAM 1130)

mel75
mel75 Posts: 2
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Bike is 6 months old / 150 miles.

Noticed some noise during the last ride and it appears that a tooth on the cassette's 5th cog has completely snapped off. (Not profiled!)

It's SRAM 1130 gear.

LBS is unhelpful. They tell me they need to send the cassette off to the distributor and get their view before I can be offered a warranty replacement. So that would mean hand over the cassette, no bike for a month...and even then they may refuse a warranty replacement if the distributor says "no".

Any views? - Bad luck on the trail or defective cassette / drivetrain? I read somewhere that some groupsets can't handle the torque from the Levo motor.

And is my LBS's reaction typical for a warranty claim?

2e16bdl.jpg

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Buy a new cassette while your current one is away. Hopefully you’ll then get a warranty replacement to keep as a spare.

Who knows how it happened: defective manufacture, struck by something, debris in the chain. It looks like the tooth to the left of the missing one is damaged as well. I doubt it is the cassette’s inability to handle the power of the motor. If it was then there would be many tales of woe.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    It's electric bike? Generally when changing gear you want to remove load off the chain, especially when climbing, when pedalling that is done by not pressing as hard, an electric motor won't do that for you.

I doubt that is fault of the cassette so unlikely to be honoured by the warranty.

Just unfortunate gear change broke it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gear changes under load usually do for the chain not the cassette, but yes may be contributory.

As above, just get a cassette and if you get one under warranty keep as a spare.

E-bike (legal) and not that fit a rider is little more power than a fit rider, and if you are fit why have an e-bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's a five grand bike and you don't want to buy a spare cassette to keep it on the road ?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Mucky cassette for 150 miles of riding too - do you not clean the thing?!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    mel75 wrote:
    Bike is 6 months old / 150 miles.
    mel75 wrote:
    So that would mean hand over the cassette, no bike for a month...
    150 miles in 6 months? Doesn't sound like you'd miss it much...
    The Rookie wrote:
    and if you are fit why have an e-bike!
    Because they are awesome fun!
    larkim wrote:
    Mucky cassette for 150 miles of riding too - do you not clean the thing?!
    Minging.