Random Cable!

clackadelic
clackadelic Posts: 13
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
So the Mrs' ebike arrives yesterday, all very shiny and new. For the life of me I can't work out why there is an extra cable coming out the side of the frame with no obvious use.

41630985162_d93bed6e26_k.jpg20180423_223750 by John Clark

According to Evans assistance, cube are now fitting this as standard for riders who want to fit a dropper post.

I don't even know where to begin with this. No chance the Mrs will want to fit a dropper post, the pop loc on the fork is more than she wants to think about apparently.

That said, I am not sure that anyone would want a dropper on this bike given that Cube rate it on their usage category as a 3 which apparently means for use on:
-tarmac roads and bicycle routes
-ways paved by gravel, sand or similar materials (e.g. re road, dirt road)
-paved and non paved hiking trails where roots, thresholds, rocks and drops are more often

To that end, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with the cable? Its definitely fixed to something inside the frame (presumably in the seat tube) so can't be simply pulled out. I'm currently thinking an ugly but simple solution of securing it to the frame with a cable tie is the order of the day.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    -paved and non paved hiking trails where roots, thresholds, rocks and drops are more often

That would be it. Probably pointless though.

It won't be fixed at the other end as that would connect to the post if fitted - take the seat post out and have a look.

I'm sure it can be pulled out, otherwise just cut it off flush.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I’d also be trimming that poploc cable - looks way too long! If she’s never going to use it, you actually just remove the cable in its entirety - less clutter and one less thing for her to think/get confused about...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Remove the dropper post outer in its entirety and get that poplock cable shortened and it will look much neater.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Quite thoughtful of them really, 8) having that in place if you did want a dropper would make fitting it much easier as internal cables can be a pain in the backside to feed through.

If your definitely not going to use it, then just pull it out and plug the holes.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Why is it a random cable, you quite clearly know it is for a dropper post as you said so yourself :P

Remove it, it may resist because it has a cable end cap fitted perhaps.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Oh, the fork lockout looks like it may be fitted wrong way round on the bars, and whoever fitted the cable need their arse kicking, that is stupidly long to the point of being dangerous.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    Oh, the fork lockout looks like it may be fitted wrong way round on the bars, and whoever fitted the cable need their ars* kicking, that is stupidly long to the point of being dangerous.

I could comment about taking three weeks to deliver not the 7-10 days claimed and the fact it comes without pedals despite no mention of this when ordering but ultimately it is my own fault for ordering from Evans and not going to Bike Active.

Shame on me ;)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    02GF74 wrote:
    Oh, the fork lockout looks like it may be fitted wrong way round on the bars, and whoever fitted the cable need their ars* kicking, that is stupidly long to the point of being dangerous.

It's designed to go on the left of the handlebars with the lever facing backwards and the cable exiting towards the front of the bike.
    I suspect it has been positioned where it is to make room for the speed controller on the left.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    And bikes don’t come with pedals
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Or riders...

:lol:
  • JGTR wrote:
    And bikes don’t come with pedals

You might be surprised how many do. Its a matter of principal. Still I'm saving for some eggbeaters so she can have my old 520s if she wants.