New bike rusty chain

Colincounsell
Colincounsell Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a new mtb for my son in middle of feb 18.
I noticed 3 weeks ago that the chain was showing signs of rust already so I've applied some wet lube.
The bike hasn't been used a great amount, occasionally getting wet, but always kept in the house. Admittedly, we didn't put anything on the chain until 3 weeks ago but I would have expected it to come from the shop with sufficient protection to last more than 6 weeks of light use without rusting.
Would I have grounds to complain?

Comments

• Don't think you can blame the shop for that one.

Given the rubbish weather earlier this year, the councils put a lot of salt on the roads. This dissolves in the rain and splashes up on the bike and attacks pretty much anything exposed. That will eat through any lube on the chain in no time. Must have been a particularly bad year for it given the way the alloy brake calipers on my hybrid furred up.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Regardless of age and use good regular maintenance is required. I ride at least once a week maybe more and with the winter conditions I've had to wet lube and clean the bike down a lot to stop the chain and cassette from locking up.

Presumably following some wet lube it rode fine?
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I put a new decent quality chain on my bike and rode it for one commute return and next morning had some signs of rust, just lubed it up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    If the bike's wet from use you should always give the drivetrain a spray with a water displacer like GT85 after use, especially if you dont clean it straight after. It will help prevent rust.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No you shouldn't because it will strip the lube out of the rollers. Just wipe it down. Surface rust just comes off when you ride anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    A good wipe down after a messy ride and occasional wet lube when required. That's what I do and it seems to keep the bike rolling pretty well.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Yeah, thought that might be the general response. Been doing some research on the web re. chain maintenance and people are very polarised on how much maintenance is required, from clean it weekly to just whack a bit of wet lube on occasionally.
    It's been a while since I rode much but in my university days I rode daily all year round, rain or shine. I just whacked a bit of oil on whenever it was looking a bit dried out (probably every few months) and never had a problem. But then I was based in a coastal area where they never needed to grit the roads. As one of you said, it could be the salt on the roads that makes the difference.
    Thanks....
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Visual inspection after a ride should tell you whether to put more lube on or not, the wetter /muddier the ride, the more chance it needs attention after that ride. If the weather is dry, you could probably go a few weeks without maintenance depending on what lube you use.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Depends on the bike.

You can buy a chain for £ 70 and for £ 100 more a complete bike. You cannot expect the chain on that bike to be anywhere near the quality of the expensive chain.

How much was the bike?

Better quality chains are chrome plated or Ti nitride coated, cheap one aren't so will rust unless slavered with oil, which then will hold dirt that will wear it quicker.