Shimano Brake Cross compatibility?

JamesHavill
JamesHavill Posts: 14
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey i was riding my bike around and noticed something i had never seen before. A bike had the xt 8000 brake levers but the calibers were not xt? Not quite sure which calibers. So i thought instead of upgrading my whole brake system i could just change the levers for half the price. I am currently running Shimano acera or BR-M395 brakes, i am wondering if i would be able to upgrade the levers to the XT 8000 and keep the same calibers. I only want to Change the levers not the whole system. So WOULD THIS WORK???

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Three things to check.
    1.brake fluid compatability, shimano use mineral oil, should be OK but check to be sure.
    2.hose fitting to calliper, needs to be the same, shimano generally use straight fitting.
    3.area of calliper pistons, shimano mostly use one pair but have made brakes with two pairs. Measure diameter and if 2 pairs calculate area, to get the same lever travel the areas should be the same but if not then you would need to try it to see how different it is.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano brakes are very cross compatible, yes you can just fit better levers to your callipers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Shimano brakes are very cross compatible, yes you can just fit better levers to your calipers.

Hows does this work though as I've seen xtr levers and saint calipers?

can you do it the other way around say i could upgrade my xt calipers to zee and reuse the xt brake lever?
  • The Rookie
    XTR do work with Saint, but are sensitive on setup, but the OP doesn't have Saint so its an academic question.

For four pot (Saint and Zee) callipers use saint or Zee levers (apart from M810 Saint which are two pot and i run with an XT lever).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    swod1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Shimano brakes are very cross compatible, yes you can just fit better levers to your calipers.

can you do it the other way around say i could upgrade my xt calipers to zee and reuse the xt brake lever?

Read what I said about measuring piston diameters.
    Just because calliper has 2 pairs of pistons, does not necessarily mean that they are larger area than one pair.
  • Having a higher end lever might mean it's lighter, better finish, feels better and will be more durable but not sure how well it would be with the same old caliper, results will be interesting.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    02GF74 wrote:
    Just because calliper has 2 pairs of pistons, does not necessarily mean that they are larger area than one pair.
    This, if a caliper has a smaller piston area than the original you will have less lever travel, larger piston more lever travel.
  • The Rookie
    02GF74 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Shimano are all 22mm, so no need to bother, that’s why I said they were cross compatible.