2018 Specialized Roubaix Di2 question.

sprite0
sprite0 Posts: 12
edited June 2018 in Road general
Hi all

I am looking to buy a 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite and upgrade it to Di2 as I already have some of the components.
My question is regarding the handlebar supplied with the frame. According to the specs this is a "Specialized Comp Hover Bar, 6061 alloy, 70x125mm w/ Di2 hole". Does this mean that the bar has the holes necessary to allow fitting the bar end plug type Di2 junction box. Can the cables be run inside the handlebar ?. I can't just nip to the local LBS for a look as i live in Ireland and Specialized pulled distribution from all the local bike shops over two years ago with the intention of opening a concept store. Were still waiting so currently can only buy Specialized online from UK or Europe. Would appreciate if any 2018 Roubaix owners could confirm if this is possible.

Thanks

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Have you had a ride on a Roubaix? That Future Shock suspension system is in my opinion an acquired taste. Not saying is bad, just that I’d recommend trying before buying.
  • sprite0
    Hi ChippyK. No I haven't ridden one. Nearest dealer to me is in Belfast which is a 340 mile round trip. Not many Specialized bikes on the road here since they pulled out of LBS over 2 years ago. My decision based purely on reviews and looking at geometry of the bike. Also looked at Trek Domane SL and SLR but completely sold out in my size both frameset and finished bikes. Again my only option would be to buy online from some of the larger UK retailers that have stock. Or wait for 2019 models. Have you tried a Roubaix yourself.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    My two penneth.... I've got a Roubaix Comp 2018 and absolutely love it. I got it because I was so p*ssed off with getting shaken to bits on crappy UK roads.

The Future shock works just great and I can't say that I'm conscious of any bouncing just a lot smoother ride... helped as well by the 28 tyres. I weigh about 68kg and am running the medium rated spring. I have never felt any need to swap to the stiffest one (supplied). I did drop the stem height and removed the spacers and put the shorter cap on... no steering tube cutting required.
    I've done around 750 miles on it so far since January (a lot of time spent on the turbo due to the weather).

I've just started riding my "best" bike again... a Wilier Cento Uno. A very different ride and I'm having to get used to getting shaken around again... but still a great ride.

As your original question regarding the bars... sorry, I don't know the answer although I do have the bars you refer to. However I'm not running Di2 and the bars are wrapped and installed on the Roubaix... I like the bars though.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Sprite0, I have tried a Roubaix yes. It was comfortable and smooth but I thought the front end was bouncing around when standing up and putting the power (or my excuse for power) on for say a railway bridge or small hill. Dabber likes hers/his, but they’re 15kg lighter than I am. On a rough bit of tarmac on a descent near me the bottles bounce out of the cages of my Ridley Noah but the Spesh felt good. I ended up with a Synapse. Liked the Defy too. Good bike the Roubaix, just not for me.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    ChippyK wrote:
    Sprite0, I have tried a Roubaix yes. It was comfortable and smooth but I thought the front end was bouncing around when standing up and putting the power (or my excuse for power) on for say a railway bridge or small hill. Dabber likes hers/his, but they’re 15kg lighter than I am. On a rough bit of tarmac on a descent near me the bottles bounce out of the cages of my Ridley Noah but the Spesh felt good. I ended up with a Synapse. Liked the Defy too. Good bike the Roubaix, just not for me.

His :? Btw, the Roubaix somehow encouraged me to spend more time on the drops than previously, it felt very comfortable... this has now overspilled to the Wilier where I'm now spending a lot more time on the drops.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • sprite0
    Hi Dabber. I'll bet you the roads here in the West of Ireland are even crappier than yours which is precisely why I'm looking at the roubaix. Summer bike is a Rose Xeon CGF and after a couple of hours my hands and rear ache. Lovely bike on smooth roads. I built a Kinesis GF Ti Disc a couple of years ago and with 28s fitted it is much more comfortable but still start getting numbness/pins & needles after a few hours despite bar gel and 3.2 mm tape. Just think that the Roubaix would be another level up when carrying my 100kg 50 year old bones.
  • LTH123
    LTH123 Posts: 1
    Hi
    Just reading your article, Im also thinking of wanting to install Di2 on my 2018 Specilized Roubuaix Elite carbon Disc road bike, so please could you let me know how it went, and any issues if encountered. Also im trying to find out exactly what Shimano parts are required and costs.
    Thanks
    Larry
    larryhalliday@icloud.com