bedding in new pads

violent_keith
violent_keith Posts: 25
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi , this is probably something that gets asked a lot, had a bit of a search but didn't really see what I needed to know . Iv'e bled my brakes and put new pads in and just wanted to know if its usual for the disc to slip through the pads when brand new ?
If I push my bike and pull the front brake it stops dead so it is gripping,but if i'm riding it then it grips hard but will slip through a bit , never done it before and didn't want to go out if its not going to grip and bed in and is something Iv'e done wrong instead while bleeding .
I didn't contaminate the pads,made that mistake before, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean up before fitting new pads

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Normal, will take a short while to bed in.
  • Thanks man,made a lot of mistakes servicing my bike myself, its been a big learning curve
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    If I push my bike and pull the front brake it stops dead so it is gripping,but if i'm riding it then it grips hard but will slip through a bit , never done it before and didn't want to go out if its not going to grip and bed in and is something Iv'e done wrong instead while bleeding .

What are you talking about? If the disc did not slip through the pads you would be over the bars due to the wheel stopping dead..... or am I missing something. :?

there is a huge difference stopping a bike when walking compared to when riding, firstly there is the speed difference and then more significantly the weight of the rider - the momentum of bike and rider at speed takes a hell of a lot more effort to stop then pushing a pie.
  • So when i'm standing next to it pushing it along and pull the brake it stops dead and the back wheel will lift off the ground.
    If i'm riding it then the disc will slip through the pads when i brake but will stop eventually
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    ride the bike somewhere like a empty car park and get up to a reasonable speed and make a few hard stops but don't lock up the wheel and you will notice each time the brake will get better.

what compound of brake pads did you fit? sintered (metal) will take longer to bed in.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So when i'm standing next to it pushing it along and pull the brake it stops dead and the back wheel will lift off the ground.
    If i'm riding it then the disc will slip through the pads when i brake but will stop eventually

I think that your question was answered in the previous post.

I've found that roughing up the pads with a file helps.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Ok nice one, appreciate it, just going off google and you tube videos when I do anything to my bike
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    So when i'm standing next to it pushing it along and pull the brake it stops dead and the back wheel will lift off the ground.

So what is the problem? , that's correct operation.

If you are riding and apply the brakes, ofcourse the bike won't stop instantly as you will be over the bars.

No need for any bedding in or roughing up the pads.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    02GF74 wrote:

So what is the problem? , that's correct operation.

If you are riding and apply the brakes, ofcourse the bike won't stop instantly as you will be over the bars.

No need for any bedding in or roughing up the pads.

Pads do need bedding in, although I’d agree no need to rough up the pads. I don’t think the OP necessarily wants the bike to stop instantly, but the ability to lock the wheel is useful (even if skids are for kids), and the difference between completely new pads to ones that are bedded in is like night and day.

Regarding actually bedding them in - there are a myriad of different ways, but my preferred is to just go ride, being mindful that for the first few times I brake, I’m not going slow down as quickly as I will once everything is bedded in properly. Essentially, go ride, brake hard, don’t drag the brakes and within a short while, they’ll be fine.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I would agree that progressive stopping at speed is correct operation. If the bike just came to a halt at speed it would be disastrous. It’s extremely rare you anchor the brakes on that hard when actually riding anyway. Go and ride it and just be cautious to start with as it might not stop as well as you expect. Couple of good rides it will all be sorted.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)