Spring Classics 2018 - Rate the season (may contain traces of SPOILERS)

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
edited April 2018 in Pro race
So, spring classics done and dusted, what's everyone's feeling?

Me, I liked that there were some new faces on the podiums, but had the feeling that the entire season was really, really cagey. Lots of second tier riders (some may not remain in the second tier!) got away and got results as there were politics in the pursuing bunches. Even Sagan's victory was marked by a lack of cooperation in the chase.

Obviously QS dominated, and (freed from riding for Tomekke?) were tactically brilliant, Nibz got his MSR, Sagan got his Paris-Roubaix. There were some great and ballsy rides (Mads Pedersen, Benoot and more) but there was a feeling of stalemate from the big guns quite often.

I'll give it a 6, maybe 7 at a push.

EDIT: Here's the general 2018 classics thread, for a recap and discussion as it went down.
viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13089111
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ive really enjoyed it. If i was a lotto or BMC fan i would think it was pants, so so for cannondale who at least got loads of good tv time.

But if i was Patrick Le Fervre well he's got to be a seriously happy man
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    6. Some nice races, nice winners and some surprises. Quickstep's domination seemed a bit much tho - I'm not even sure how much they dominated but it felt like they could choose who's turn it was in the team bus before the race
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think 2018 will be remembered as the year Wout van Aert marked his appearance before he sweeps all aside next year ( :) ).
  • A solid 7.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    6 or 7. Probably 7.

I actually quite enjoyed watching QS execute some "textbook" wins. And then when it didn't work at P-R.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    its been fast.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I've enjoyed it but then I always enjoy thenSpring classics - rated relative to other years I thought it was slightly below average so I've given it a 5.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    5 or 6. Nibali's MSR will live in the memory, but I think little else will beyond the results.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I was going to go 7 - but the wealth of talent this year is unbelievable so 8 - the level of racing has been good - I think there is too much waiting/nostalgia for dominance again - I can't see it happening. Races are great , racing is superb
  • 6 - Too many races decided by indecision in the chasers (OHN, PR, LBL)

Strade Bianche was great though, as was MSR. I enjoyed the Tour of Flanders and Fleche Wallonne was surprisingly good.

The rest were either par for the course or sub par (PR being the biggest disappointment for me)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,595
    If 5 is average it was a 7
  • 6 for me, Clive.

Yeah it was alright. I think I enjoyed last year more just because I got to watch more of it live. Had to try and stay away from spoilers this year and watch highlights later at night. But it was good to see some unexpected winners (or less expected.)

Personally enjoyed watching Nibali hold off the chase at MSR, enjoyed seeing Van Aert break himself at Strade Bianchi. Actually quite liked seeing how happy Alaphilipe was for his pal winning Liege yesterday, was as if he'd won the race himself.

Also this has tickled me - https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/ ... 1638449152

Can we all just take a minute to remind ourselves how hilarious this was

elia-viviani-tears-after-2018-gent-wevelgem.jpg?itok=momTNyqh
  • RichN95.
    One of the themes of the spring was the underplayed attack. All of the monuments were won by solo attacks that seemed to just slip away without much fanfare - only Nibali's had any gusto about it.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    7/10

Seems the new meta in racing this year is to slip away after 1-2 semi serious attacks by other riders.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    6 for me, would have been a 5 had it not been for Sagan and Nibbles victories. I am actually a big fan of the subtle attack, he sort where someone gets a gap and everyone behind starts looking around for someone else to chase. Paolini in 2015 GW was a classic example - as Cosmo Catalano put it, it's "satisfyingly intellectual" to watch

Not generally a fan of one team like QS dominating proceedings but actually the whole attitude towards racing from the Quickstep camp seems to have been very wholesome indeed - this whole "Wolfpack" thing seems a bit cheesy but it's starting to look like the sort of team spirit that can sometimes be lacking from cycling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Marginally better than average thanks to MSR so a 6 from me.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    From a cycling purist's point of view it was pretty good because the quality of some of the rides was superb and QS put on a masterclass. Some young riders announced themselves as well.

From a racing entertainment point of view it was fairly average.

So a 6 overall for me.
  • rick_chasey
    First full season without Tom.

**sobs uncontrollably**
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,576
    First full season without Tom.

**sobs uncontrollably**

It's been revolutionary for Quickstep.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I’ve gone with a pretty solid 4 - too many winners slipping off the front and the only proper winning attack I can remember came from Nibali who I’m really not a fan of.

I just don’t remember being that interested in any of it this year.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    quickstep had so many different arrows in their quiver. that's a fantastic classics campaign for them, and also for Nibali, and the superb Danish lad from Astana.

Wout van Aert made the step up, and looks able to compete at this level easily...

I put 8, but probably nearer 7 in hindsight.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712

Strade was great, Flanders an occasion, Quick Step and Van Aert imperious.

Enjoyed it.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Gone with a 7 as pretty enjoyable all round.

QS had a strangle hold of most inbetween races which made for predicatable viewing but their squad is superb and after not getting right last year they did this time. Good to see Jungels winning LBL. Not so for Nibali MSR, but he is tactically brilliant. Disappointing for Sky. Hoped Kwiato would show up for Ardennes which he was aiming at but didn't happen.

Good though
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone think team sizes had an impact on tactics?

All 4 were won by attacks from far out and only Roubaix wasn’t a solo win.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Anyone think team sizes had an impact on tactics?

All 4 were won by attacks from far out and only Roubaix wasn’t a solo win.
    Possibly, but that would be really difficult to tell. The main factor was that the final stage front groups had genuine threats that others didn't want to tow, and for QS wins a QS rider marking attacks. Where other teams had multiple riders they tended to use it as a springboard for attack (eg Valgren and Fuglsang at Amstel). Were teams missing some help at the race end? Maybe
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
  • RichN95 wrote:

You missed the other one from 2018. I can't say much more without giving away the answer
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

You missed the other one from 2018. I can't say much more without giving away the answer
    Oh yeah. Fixed it now. (Turns out I missed several others too)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Giro thread someone.
    The classics are over it's Giro Thread time.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Genuinely didn't realise the Giro started on Friday until I checked this morning!

Seems to have crept up this year