Kinesis Aithein BB86

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Evening all,
I have a Kinesis Aithein which was bought last year and built up over Christmas.
I've had a few runs out on it now and I have a bit of an issue with the BB.
I installed a Tiagra BB86 BB, bought from Ribble, and pressed it in. No issues - had a first run of ~30 miles. Super bike.

Next run was ~30 miles and the BB began to creak for the last few miles of the run. Got the BB press and "nipped" it up. Next run 28 miles and it began to creak after ~20 miles.
So, out with the BB, and re-installed with grease on the cups, as it was being installed.

Out tonight for a 30+ miles run and after about 3 miles it began to creak again. Creaked all evening.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Two things spring to mind: Shimano don’t recommend removing and refitting their press-fit BBs, and I think they should be fitted dry. Not that either is much help to you.

Sounds like the B.B. shell could be slightly oversized. Maybe try fitting a new BB with some mild Loctite? What do Kinesis recommend?
  • Cheers Keef. I'll check on the Shimano website to see if there are any specific requirements.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shimano Dealer Manual just says press them in till the lip is completely snug against the outer face of the BB shell. No mention of grease or Loctite. And the warning against refitting once removed in case they have been damaged / distorted in the process (I'd take that with a pinch of salt if you managed to press it in and drift it out without any violence).

They do say if there's squeaking, removing and refitting the LH crank with more grease and correctly adjusting the preload might sort it. Maybe it's not the BB after all and it's the interface with the crank?

I have to say I have a factory fitted Shimano press fit BB in my CR1, and it's been silent for 5 years. In that time I've swapped chainsets several times, and never heard a peep from it.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    On the couple of occasions I've had consistent issues with Shimano press fit BB's I've moved over to the Hope one, the cups thread together via a sleeve which eliminates any movement, leading to many thousands of creak free (at least from the BB) miles. Not cheap, but very effective and long lasting. I think other companies offer similar but I've only used the Hope one. Link to the CRC site, it might be cheaper elsewhere!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... d|426292UK