Wheel upgrade advice

majster
majster Posts: 66
edited April 2018 in Road general
I've recently got a new Trek FX3 Disc hybrid for a bit of summer touring that I'm doing

The bike seems very sluggish particularly uphill compared to me road bike which is Trek Domane ALR5 disc

Thinking of changing the wheels so that I put my Domane wheels on the Hybrid and put some new lighter wheels on my road bike

Is this possible and any recommendations/advice

Many thanks

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Before you buy anything I'd suggest checking that you can use the wheels from your road bike on your hybrid - there's now a mess of standards (quick release, two kinds of thru-axle), are the rotors the same size and if not are both wheels the same fitting and so the rotors transferable, etc

New wheels will somewhat depend on how big you are - if you're over say 80kg then you might do best by looking at something handbuilt - that's what I would/have done as I'm on the large side.

If you're on the smaller size then basically take your pick, load of options out there now, although again you'll need to be careful what you buy is compatible with your bike(s).
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    It maybe worth trying the domain wheels on the hybrid first and checking that it will make the difference that you are looking for.

I've had Fulcrum, Shimano, Hunt and Reynolds wheels and they've all performed as expected with no problems.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Look at the hand built wheels on offer from Malcolm @ https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... -wheelsets

Very affordable, good wheels and he gives good honest advice.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Of course the FX3 will feel sluggish uphill - it's a boat anchor compared to the Domane. I'd leave things as they are and come to terms with the fact that you simply ain't gonna go as fast on the hybrid.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also when making comparisons between wheels and bikes the tyres need to be the same. The tyres on your hybrid might be wired heavy and slow and on your dommane you might have veloflex.

The wheels may be part of the sluggish issue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • majster
    majster Posts: 66
    so I've already got GP4000 tyres already which do make a difference. I guess for me I know I have a tour in the summer which is for a week - can't take road bike as need proper panniers - mandatory requirement - hence looking to make the hybrid a bit more fun

Domane seems to be thru-axle front and back whilst hybrid is a mixture - can the hybrid accommodate the existing Domane wheels?

Sorry for questions but not too clued up about wheels