What sunglasses do you use for riding?

muzician
muzician Posts: 20
edited October 2019 in Road general
I find clip-ons leave a gap at the top between the glasses and the helmet visor. Lately I've been using these large over-glasses polarized sunglasses that work really well - I get 0 intrusion at the top. I don't even lose any significant peripheral view since these particular ones actually have lenses at the sides.

What do you use?

polar-optics-edison.25800a.dgu.1_1.jpg

Comments

• kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    rudy project with photochromic lenses....means I only have 1 pair for any kind of riding.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Got some Ewin E11 glasses with 4 lenses. Really good fit don't most up. I tend to use the yellow lense mostly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oakley radars or radar locks or M frames or those ones like G has. All good for me.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Oakley Flak Jackets when sunny and Bolle Contour clear glasses when it's less sunny and on the way home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Bolle smoked or Bolle clear
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Since my insight is poor the perfect solution for me is something like this, eye glasses with sunglass clip on
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-frame-glasses-frame-and-glasses-frame-with-magnet-clip-set-mirror-sunglasses-glasses-Polarized-Sunglasses/32666006255.html
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Salice 016. Can be worn with the bottom guard or with just the nose bridge. Also take a prescription insert. Came with 3 lens options too all in a hard case.

https://youtu.be/N0wejTYxxkA
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    A photochromic Radar - most of the time, especially in the UK

A red iridium Radar - very sunny UK days, always on sunny overseas days.

A clear M Frame - in the dark!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    Siroko K2. Polarized TAC lens, great sweat and heat dissipation. 28g. Very comfortable.

https://www.siroko.com/collections/spor ... nd-cycling
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Faffed around with some £20-£30 Endura and something similar glasses for years.

Then bought some Jawbreakers. Game changer, lenses are from another planet, they last forever and look awesome.

Bit of an investment, but wear them every day and would 100% buy more Oakleys with Prizm lenses, really really really impressed.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I'm a specie 4-eyes so I really need something prescription - when I replace my glasses with a new pair, I relegate the older pair to cycling duties.
    So, currently using a pair of Oakley specs with photochromic prescription lenses.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Oakley Prizms for sunny days. Oakley Photochromics for everything else.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Oakley Trillbe (24k Iridium) for everything not super fast - they make everything seem sun-kissed and lovely. Also pretty ok off the bike.

Oakley Wind Jacket 2.0 (Prizm Snow) for racing/skiing/winter if it's really cold.

The lenses from Oakley are just on another level. Total fanboy.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I’ve got a lid with a visor, I prefer it to shades, it can’t slip down my nose, and fall off and get run over by a following rider.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803

These. On any day. On any bike - even the mtb in the dark
  • Htclee
    Htclee Posts: 33
    Oakley EV Path - Prizm lenses. Super clear and I use them from sun up to sun down in the UK with no issues. Fit perfectly with Kask Protone.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/fi ... zero-range
  • A pair of Aldi ones, bought last year, the orange tinted lenses nicely removed the glare of yesterday's beaming sunshine.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    GrenW wrote:

These. On any day. On any bike - even the mtb in the dark

I've not tried mine in the pitch black but I certainly find that because it's the red photochromic lens (and goes a long way towards clear) that in very low light the definition is superb through them - so they do get used on both road and MTB most of the time.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Sungod Pacebreakers with either Polarised Blue or Hi Vis Blue lenses and Rudy Project Rydons with either Yellow, Red or 'Silver Multicolour' Blue lenses. I will never wear Oakleys.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    These for night time riding:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arenberg-cy ... 18518.html

These for variable days (probably used most):

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Sunwise_Hast ... XUEALw_wcB

And these 'for best' - for all day guaranteed sunny days:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-tea ... 01XXBBRXXX
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I have some Oakley M2. But the build quality of Oakleys seem to be shocking now compared to a few years back.

Just ordered some Smith Pivlock Arena Max after borrowing some friends.
  • wilks321
    wilks321 Posts: 9
    Rudy Project Rydon with prescription lenses from Extreme Eyewear very good service.
    Rockrider 5.3 (2011)
  • muzician
    muzician Posts: 20
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I will never wear Oakleys.
    Why so?
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Oakley Radar Paths with Prizm lenses or Oakley Factory Pilot Eyeshades
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Oakley Whisker 6B's with photochromic prescription lenses.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Cheap as chips Bolle safety glasses. You can even get them with different reading/near sight magnification.
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    Faffed around with some £20-£30 Endura and something similar glasses for years.

Then bought some Jawbreakers. Game changer, lenses are from another planet, they last forever and look awesome.

Bit of an investment, but wear them every day and would 100% buy more Oakleys with Prizm lenses, really really really impressed.

Same here, commute every day in photo chromatic Jaw breakers, second winter and use them night and day, clear for the dark mornings and great when the sun comes out, I was lucky, I was looking for the best price and found them on CR for £139, then when I decided to pull the trigger so to speak they had dropped to £119 just for the day!!! absolute bargain, I have tried numerous types before and found at least one fault with everything I have brought previously, I cant fault the Jaw Breakers
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Oakley EV Path with Prizm lense, great lenses and good all around visibility. I couldn't get on with their full frame offers, I had a blind spot when turning around!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I will never wear Oakleys.

missing out
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    DavidJB wrote:
    missing out

Missing out on what? You're obviously entitled to your own opinion but mine is that both the Rudy Projects and Sungods are optically as good as Oakleys, they both look better than Oakleys on me and they are not worn by as many other cyclists that I see on the roads.

I actually own several pairs of Oakleys (albeit sitting in the bottom of a drawer somewhere awaiting the inevitable eBay listing), none of which would be described a cycling specific glasses and, luckily, none of which I paid for. Until I retired from work, I spent most of my time in hot / sunny conditions and my preference would always be either B&L or Randolph Engineering, both of which I believe are superior to Oakleys (but, again, that's just my opinion).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)