Andy Rihs RIP

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited April 2018 in Pro race
Swiss businessman and cycling nut Andy Rihs has died.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/cycling-su ... d/44058924

What will happen to the team?

RIP
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Timoid. wrote:
    There was already talk of Rihs pulling his money out and the team folding if a sponsor didn't step up (Tag Heuer were rumoured). Ironically this may help them if he's made provisions in his will.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    There was already talk of Rihs pulling his money out and the team folding if a sponsor didn't step up (Tag Heuer were rumoured). Ironically this may help them if he's made provisions in his will.

I think its an illustration (if we needed one) of the dangers of being a millionaire's plaything.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Apparently he had significant health problems about two years ago and 12 months ago he was found to have myelodysplastic syndromes.

Cycling wasn't his only plaything. He also poured money into the football team Young Boys Berne, financing much of the cost of their 2005-built stadium, remaining part owner of both the club and the stadium, and continuing to be a member of the club's board.

Ironically Young Boys are currently 11 pts clear at the top of the Swiss Super League, with 6 games to go, and look set to win the league for the first time since 1986, but Rihs won't be around to see it.
    (They are also into the final of the Swiss FA Cup, so might even do the double)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    I guess in some way we are all connected in this niche sport, so I'm more saddened than I otherwise would be for someone I don't know. All the best to his family. He lived a great life and it would be terrific if the team would go on as his legacy.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023