First issues with my 4iiii PM

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited August 2018 in Workshop
After i received a refund following almost 2 years of hell with p1 pedals i invested in a 4iiii PM.
Had it for a few months now and it has been totally faultless until Friday when half way through a ride it stopped transmitting any data.

I thought it might be the battery, even though it was showing as 70%, but changing that made no difference.

It will now only connect for a second or two through Bluetooth to my Wahool Element Bolt, and refuses to connect to any other device - garmin 520, ipad, iphone or android app.

Really disappointed with 4iiii as i contacted their customer support but am still waiting for a response.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Is there a way i can reset the unit or anything or will it have to go back to the shop i purchased it from?

Comments

• pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    Dead battery? dirty contacts? I've had mine for a year and it started playing up recently. I looked at the battery cover and it had some kind of plastic residue (not corrosion) on the contacts. I got in touch with then and they sent me a new door. I did suggest a couple of design mods because removing the battery is really difficult,
    Its fine for a couple of weeks until last Sunday when it wouldn't calibrate. I unscrewed/rescrewed the cover and it worked again.
    Customer support seems OK, although I would rather not need it.
  • redvision
    Yeah i suspected the battery at first too, but have tried two brand new ones, but still the same.

I finally heard back from 4iiii yesterday and tried their suggestions - checking connections in the pod, checking seals, removing any residual charge (by inserting battery the wrong way round), disconnecting every other ant+ sensor from the gps computer etc, but none worked. The only difference now is it won't connect at all to the Bolt or 520 (they dont even see it).

Anyway, 4iiii have asked for me to return it directly to them but i am unsure if i should do this as its only 4 months since purchase and i'm wondering if i should be returning it to the shop i bought it from.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I'd take it to the shop and complain, its 4 months old and has gone kaput so i would be going to where i bought it.

I did this with a stages PM i had, it was a gen 2 one and failed so i took it to the shop and they gave me a new one, that went the same way, so i did the same again, unit 3 went kaput within 1 month so that went back and i now have a FSA Powerbox Crank based PM, only had it a week but its been faultless so far (fingers crossed) and only costs a little more than the stages. Moral of the story is go to the shop instead of the manufacturer as if it continues to go wrong, then the shop will get a credit from the distributor and you may be able to get a different brand later down the line.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • redvision
    JesseD wrote:
    I'd take it to the shop and complain, its 4 months old and has gone kaput so i would be going to where i bought it.

I did this with a stages PM i had, it was a gen 2 one and failed so i took it to the shop and they gave me a new one, that went the same way, so i did the same again, unit 3 went kaput within 1 month so that went back and i now have a FSA Powerbox Crank based PM, only had it a week but its been faultless so far (fingers crossed) and only costs a little more than the stages. Moral of the story is go to the shop instead of the manufacturer as if it continues to go wrong, then the shop will get a credit from the distributor and you may be able to get a different brand later down the line.

Yeah thats good advice and much along the lines i was thinking.
    Plus i suspect it will be faster returning it to PBK rather than Canada.

I'm hoping that this is just a one off as i have another 4iiii on my race bike :|
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Did you buy it with an extra crank or just the unit?

Only reason i ask is that if you now cannot use your bike while they sort the issue, i'd be asking the shop to supply an extra crank in the mean time.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I don't know about the USA or Canada but n the UK you can't buy only the sensor, or send in you crank to have it mounted. It comes mounted on a crank so the OP should still have the original crank.
  • redvision
    Just an update, the 4iiii went back to probikekit 3 weeks ago. Had an update this morning saying they are still waiting for confirmation from 4iiii that the unit will be replaced/fixed and estimating this will take a further 4-6 weeks.

Not impressed so i'm now thinking about escalating this. The unit was 1 week under 4 months old and their own engineers acknowledged just a day after i returned the unit that it was faulty, so is it worth pushing PBK to replace it themselves?

I'm starting to think it would have been a faster turn around if i had sent it directly to 4iiii.
    I knew it was always going to take a couple of weeks, but to be told after 3 weeks that it may be another 6 weeks is just ridiculous!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Push probikekit to get this sorted asap, my dealings with them over the past couple of days have been less than positive initially so I escalated my complaint upwards until I got resolution, it took time and effort but i think you may need to do the same.

To be honest I think certain things are worth buying from a shop, they might be slightly more expensive but you usually get better service when things go wrong.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Your contract is with PBK not 4iiii. If it is faulty, PBK should replace it and take up the claim with 4iiii themselves.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I recently had an issue with my 4iiii power meter, it was giving a calibration error 20 (instability during calibration) despite the bike being in a stand. The customer service from 4iii was really good but it did take around 3 weeks and international postage to Canada.

Good luck with your venture.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    philthy3 wrote:
    Your contract is with PBK not 4iiii. If it is faulty, PBK should replace it and take up the claim with 4iiii themselves.
    This
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • redvision
    Just an update, almost 6 weeks and still no news from pbk.

Have contacted them each week and have quoted the consumer rights act but each time get fobbed off.
    Had enough now so going to ask my credit card company to take it up.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Don't ask your credit card company

The card provider is actually the supplier ( In law) as they bought the item on your behalf and then supplied you.

They'll kick and squeal but essentially you get a refunded then they sort it with the supplier.

An overview
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... lateletter

Below is template correspondence to send to your credit provider

ACTION POINTS

[BLUE BRACKETS]: Put your specific info here, then delete the instructions (and change the text colour)

[RED BRACKETS]: Just for info, after you’ve read delete

[insert your name
    and address]

[insert date]
    [insert name and
    address of credit
    card company]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: [insert credit card number]

Ref: Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

[Use this section if the company has gone into administration or delete]
    I am writing to request that you reimburse me the value of [enter amount] as paid to [enter company name] for a [enter item purchased] on [enter date] with my [enter the name of your credit card] credit card.

My claim is made on the grounds that the company has gone into administration and you are jointly and severally liable for any misrepresentation or breach of contract with the above supplier under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

[Use this section if you have a faulty good or delete]
    I am writing to request that you reimburse me the value of [enter amount] as [select from full payment for / partial payment towards] a [enter item purchased] I paid for with my [enter the name of your credit card] credit card to [enter company name] on [enter date].

My claim is made on the grounds that the item purchased was faulty and I have been unable to resolve my complaint with the supplier and that you are jointly and severally liable for any misrepresentation or breach of contract with the above supplier under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

[Use this section if you would like to claim additional costs or delete]
    In addition to the cost of the item, I would also like to claim the additional amount of [enter amount] for the consequential losses I have incurred as a result of the suppliers breach. These costs are as follows: [enter details of additional costs, for example cost of delivery if you have had to post a faulty good back to the supplier] bringing my total claim to [enter amount of item plus extra cost].

[Use this section for all letters]
    I look forward to a full and prompt response to this letter within 14 days.

Yours faithfully,

[insert your signature]

[insert your name (printed)]
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • redvision
    Slowmart wrote:
    Don't ask your credit card company

The card provider is actually the supplier ( In law) as they bought the item on your behalf and then supplied you.

They'll kick and squeal but essentially you get a refunded then they sort it with the supplier.

An overview
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... lateletter

Below is template correspondence to send to your credit provider

ACTION POINTS

[BLUE BRACKETS]: Put your specific info here, then delete the instructions (and change the text colour)

[RED BRACKETS]: Just for info, after you’ve read delete

[insert your name
    and address]

[insert date]
    [insert name and
    address of credit
    card company]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: [insert credit card number]

Ref: Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

[Use this section if the company has gone into administration or delete]
    I am writing to request that you reimburse me the value of [enter amount] as paid to [enter company name] for a [enter item purchased] on [enter date] with my [enter the name of your credit card] credit card.

My claim is made on the grounds that the company has gone into administration and you are jointly and severally liable for any misrepresentation or breach of contract with the above supplier under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

[Use this section if you have a faulty good or delete]
    I am writing to request that you reimburse me the value of [enter amount] as [select from full payment for / partial payment towards] a [enter item purchased] I paid for with my [enter the name of your credit card] credit card to [enter company name] on [enter date].

My claim is made on the grounds that the item purchased was faulty and I have been unable to resolve my complaint with the supplier and that you are jointly and severally liable for any misrepresentation or breach of contract with the above supplier under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

[Use this section if you would like to claim additional costs or delete]
    In addition to the cost of the item, I would also like to claim the additional amount of [enter amount] for the consequential losses I have incurred as a result of the suppliers breach. These costs are as follows: [enter details of additional costs, for example cost of delivery if you have had to post a faulty good back to the supplier] bringing my total claim to [enter amount of item plus extra cost].

[Use this section for all letters]
    I look forward to a full and prompt response to this letter within 14 days.

Yours faithfully,

[insert your signature]

[insert your name (printed)]

Thanks for this, will give it a shot
  • redvision
    Replacement 4iiii lasted for about 2 months and completely stopped working today.

I noticed early last week my power was apparently down yet my times were roughly equal to previous rides. I compared data to the direto and the 4iiii matched until about 30 mins before becoming intermittent and very low. I contacted 4iiii and tried everything they suggested; checked for updates, new battery, checked connections inside the pod and the seal etc.

I went for a two hour spin on Xmas morning and the cadence dropped completely, power didn't get above 200 watts, despite full on sprints. Then, on today's ride all was good until 15 mins in when it completely stopped working. No cadance or power data and won't even connect through Bluetooth to anything.

Haven't bothered going back to 4iiii, instead waiting for pbk to authorise the return and hoping to get a refund this time.

My other 4iiii (dura ace) has so far not had any issues. Tbh I am starting to wonder if there could be more of a difference between that and the 105 version than just the weight. Anyway, will wait and see what pbk say this time, in the meantime i have vector 3 on order and keeping fingers crossed they will be more reliable when they eventually get delivered.
  • Vorix
    Vorix Posts: 3
    My 9 month old 105 Precision crank started giving spurious power readings the weekend before last and then stopped giving out any readings at all. My Garmin gives Code 20 on calibration and the 4iiii app just tells me there is an error. The meter connected to both via ANT+ or Bluetooth so it was still active, just not working properly. I contacted 4iiii and went through their troubleshooting checklist but nothing worked.
    I returned it to Evans in person last week and am hoping I don't get caught in some Mexican stand-off between them, the 4iiii UK distributor and 4iiii themselves - some emails from today are starting to make me a little nervous.
  • redvision
    Vorix wrote:
    My 9 month old 105 Precision crank started giving spurious power readings the weekend before last and then stopped giving out any readings at all. My Garmin gives Code 20 on calibration and the 4iiii app just tells me there is an error. The meter connected to both via ANT+ or Bluetooth so it was still active, just not working properly. I contacted 4iiii and went through their troubleshooting checklist but nothing worked.
    I returned it to Evans in person last week and am hoping I don't get caught in some Mexican stand-off between them, the 4iiii UK distributor and 4iiii themselves - some emails from today are starting to make me a little nervous.

Fingers crossed they sort it quickly for you.

The first unit i returned took absolutely ages, but when the replacement failed at christmas it was a much faster process and pbk refunded my money within 3 weeks of returning the 4iiii (which i have since invested in the garmin vector 3).
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Vorix wrote:

Just noticed my Dura ace 4iiii giving what I felt were low readings past couple of days. Couldn't connect to the app (although I have a newer Ultegra one on another bike and app found that fine).
    Changed the battery in the unit and downloaded the app on an ipad which then found it - unit needed a firmware update which is now complete so will see if this solves the issue on the next ride. App also advised re-pairing with GPS device (in my case Wahoo Bolt).
  • Vorix
    As an update to this, Evans came through with a replacement unit in a couple of weeks and that's now been on the bike for a couple of months. Generally it is OK - sometimes it won't calibrate but I just take the battery out and put back in and that sorts it.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Just noticed my Dura ace 4iiii giving what I felt were low readings past couple of days. Couldn't connect to the app (although I have a newer Ultegra one on another bike and app found that fine).
    Changed the battery in the unit and downloaded the app on an ipad which then found it - unit needed a firmware update which is now complete so will see if this solves the issue on the next ride. App also advised re-pairing with GPS device (in my case Wahoo Bolt).

I was getting low readings from my generation 1 4iiii precision, around 40w below what it should be. 4iiiis asked me to refit the battery with the polarity reversed, leave it in for 10 seconds, then refit properly. Fixed it for me.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    SRC1 wrote:

I was getting low readings from my generation 1 4iiii precision, around 40w below what it should be. 4iiiis asked me to refit the battery with the polarity reversed, leave it in for 10 seconds, then refit properly. Fixed it for me.

Thanks - will try that if still having problems.
  • Hi,

Just seen this thread so I thought I'd add my two penneth. I have a 4iiii ultegra PM and it works fine communicating via ANT+ with my PC on Zwift, but is terrible using Bluetooth. I have changed batteries and reconnected many times, but it doesn't function well at all. It sort of pairs, but drops connection after a minute or two.

It quite poor really as my unit is out of 12 m warranty and I paid £470 for it. I'm left with something that I can't use on the road as my head unit is Bluetooth only and doesn't use ANT+.

I am also sceptical of the BS from 4iiii about changing batteries, check connections, insert the battery the wrong way round and back again. It's just a ruse to put off consumers from complaining by making the pairing process seem more complicated that it is.

I'll check my receipt again as I am pretty sure under EU law that products need 2 years warranty and not 12 as is advertised everywhere.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Sandhurst wrote:
    I'll check my receipt again as I am pretty sure under EU law that products need 2 years warranty and not 12 as is advertised everywhere.
    If you bought it in the UK the retailer needs to follow the UK selling regulations, not the EU ones. The UK ones take precedence in the UK.
  • Vorix
    My 105 crank is now on my turbo-trainer bike and works with Bluetooth connecting to my AppleTV for Zwift quite happily. Admittedly it now never gets wet which I think must have been the problem with the first unit that was exchanged via Evans with very little fuss. I think you are generally covered by the Consumer Rights Act but I am not a lawyer. Check out - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... rights-act

New bike has a Stages crank that so far has worked flawlessly, even through the deluge of RideLondon a couple of weeks ago.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Blimey this isn’t good. When stages were stArting they had loads of problems and just replaced cranks. Longest wait I had was three days.

I dealt with company direct and even though it was frustrating it was at least dealt with very quickly. I now have three gen 2 power meters. Sometimes these companies need time but 4iii sound ridiculous.