Schwalbe one pro tubeless tyres

graememacd
graememacd Posts: 386
edited April 2018 in Road general
I think these tyres are the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on cycling kit (and I did it twice!). I originally bought a pair last year to go on some new carbon wheels that I had bought. They did approximately 400 miles and the rear ended up with a sizeable hole in it due to the ars*hole local farmer on the velo Birmingham route after he put tacks down. So I thought I'd buy another to match the front tyre. This one has lasted less than 120 miles before succumbing to the same fate as the first (not tacks though). I've patched them both but not holding any hope that they're going to last. On my other bike I have tubeless IRC'S that have done thousands of trouble free miles.
So if you are in the market for tubeless tyres, do not buy schwalbe's!

Comments

• This is not encouraging since I just ordered a pair! What sealant were you running, and how much?
  • graememacd
    38special wrote:
    This is not encouraging since I just ordered a pair! What sealant were you running, and how much?

Sorry to hear that! I think I have used stans sealant but the tyres seem very weak. They are however quick if that's any consolation!
  • cossyrush
    cossyrush Posts: 43
    I patched mine with a 3mm tyre plug (the mushroom ones) and tip top blue tyre glue.
    They've been fine since.
  • But your front tyre has been perfectly fine!!??
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • graememacd
    But your front tyre has been perfectly fine!!??

Yeah maybe it's the weight over the back tyre!
    Seriously not impressed though at £40 a tyre
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I've recently converted to tubeless on a new set of wheels with schwalbe pro ones and todate I've not had any issues. Touch wood....
  • graememacd
    TonySJ wrote:
    I've recently converted to tubeless on a new set of wheels with schwalbe pro ones and todate I've not had any issues. Touch wood....

Hopefully yours will be ok. I knew they had a reputation for being weak but didn't think they would be this bad
  • They are probably best as a fast summer tyre like the Vittoria speeds
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I had a couple of sets of Pro-one's on my summer and winter bikes and although they may be more suited to summer use, I used them right through a winter season and only had one puncture which self-sealed.

I have now however switched to Hutchinson Fusion 5.
    Hutchinson have the most confusing range of tyre names ever - but I am using the "tubeless ready" (not the "road tubeless") versions of the all season on my winter bike and the galactik on my summer bike, all 25mm.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    If it is just a small hole in the tyre which isn't sealing, then clean and dry the inner surface of the tyre really well, and use a regular inner tube patch on the inner surface of the tyre to cover the hole. Even if it did seal, I'd be tempted to patch it anyway. I've done this a couple of times on tubeless tyres, worked fine. I find that the Schwalbe one tyres wear quicker than I'd expect, I'm getting about 3000 km out of a rear before I'm down to the casing. I got five Schwalbe Ironman tubeless tyres dirt cheap a couple of years back, and have been working my way through them. The last one will probably need fitting this weekend.
  • graememacd
    I patched one of the tyres and it held pressure but went for a ride and it blew again after 3 miles. It's going in the bin! Looking at Hutchinson and maxxis as a replacement
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Had Schwalbe Pro Ones on a bike I've just sold. The front did 10K but I used to go through rears every 3.5K - I was running on canvas and sealant at that distance. Never had any problems other than at 3.5K the carcass was a bit to stretched to reseal on the rim easily.

Now on Hutchinson Tubeless Readies as they were very cheap last year.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    graememacd wrote:
    I patched one of the tyres and it held pressure but went for a ride and it blew again after 3 miles. It's going in the bin! Looking at Hutchinson and maxxis as a replacement
    Also have a look at IRC from Malcolm at https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I've done over 1500 miles on my Pro-Ones without any issue. Considering they are only £33 they are about half the price of most other tubeless tyres I've seen.

https://www.mantel.com/uk/schwalbe-pro-one-microskin-tl-easy-tyre