which of these two cars?

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited April 2018 in The cake stop
I am on the market for a cheap car. Of course I understand cheap means lower value (and higher repair costs) and I'm fine with that. I am based in Germany.

The Peugeot is newer in years, but got more mileage, and higher purchase price. As a format I fancy the Meriva best, which is actually what I'm replacing.
Both full service history.
Inside the Meriva someone smoked much, which although I hate it, I count on being able to clean it up.

Opel Meriva 1.4 Ecoflex, Jan 2009, 67000 km, 5door, 4000eur
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/deta ... 25f3306af9

Peugeot 207 SW 120 VTi Premium
Oct 2011, 93000km, 5door, 4700eur
https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/peu ... ?cldtidx=6

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    neither.

Buy a Gixxer thou or a s1000rr.

life is too short to buy/drive rubbish cars.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've been looking at cars recently, but I don't know the market rate in Germany so it's hard to comment.

Personally, I'm a big fan of German cars and have had a lot of VW's. If I had a smaller budget, I'd likely be looking at Skoda since they are basically the mechanicals of VW with slightly harder wearing and less fancy trim in them.

One of these any good for you?
    https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/sko ... ?cldtidx=2
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    I know people who failed to get the smell of smoke out of cars
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pep wrote:
    Inside the Meriva someone smoked much, which although I hate it, I count on being able to clean it up.

Bought a car at auction once that had been smoked in. Despite washing all the seat fabrics in the bath twice and getting through a lifetime's worth of Fabreze it still stank of cigarette smoke. Sold it as soon as poss.

On the wider point you're looking at a 9 year old car v an 11 y-o. Even with fsh it's so hit & miss you may as well flip a coin. I'd never buy a smoker's car again but you prefer the Meriva. They made enough of em and presumably some didn't catch fire; can you source a cleaner version?
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Thanks for fedback.
    I am going for the Peugeot 207 sw, 11yr old, 98000km, 4700eur.
    It almost came to flipping a coin.

The Meriva is a car I generally like more, maybe my fav overall, but ultimately I was put off by the smoke and I did not have enough confidence I could clean it. Plus, I also did not like it was listed as no-smoking.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    neither.

Buy a Gixxer thou or a s1000rr.

life is too short to buy/drive rubbish cars.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If I'm honest, I had no idea what either of those cars were and had to google them. Are you sure that price is right because it seems like a lot of money for a Peugeot of that age and mileage. That said, it's been a long time since I lived in Germany and I am therefore a bit out of touch with the car market there. My view might also be tainted by the fact that I don't really like Peugots or, indeed, French cars in general!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    If I were you I would defer buying a car and save up for something better.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]