Should I attempt my first chaingang? Too slow?

dannyjames1
dannyjames1 Posts: 44
edited April 2018 in Road general
I feel like this is a bit of a daft question maybe, but I'm going to ask. For a while I've wanted to get involved on a chaingang. I've got some experience with group riding and know the technique but I just don't want to turn up only to drop off the back! I'm not exactly slow on the bike and can push myself....

My usual solo ride is about 50 miles with 2400ft elevation... 3 climbs of about 550ft each and a bit of rolling countryside which I rarely finish averaging less than 18 mph overall with the usual little bit of a headwind on the journey back home and a couple of stops for traffic.

Should I go for it? Will I struggle? Only one way to find out?

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Your answer might be joining a club. Many of them will teach beginners to do group riding, just do some investigating in your area.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Just get out and try, would being dropped really be so bad? Assuming your local chain gang is a fast group who take no prisoners well I'm sure you wont be the first to get dropped.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Depending on the numbers there may be different groups (according to rider level).
    Even if only 1 group go along and try. It's good experience of riding at pace in a group.

And if you get dropped you get dropped. Nothing to be ashamed of or worried about. It's just part of riding a bike in a group.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    For a while I've wanted to get involved on a chaingang.

I can assure you it's not THAT glamorous

The-Warriors-Cast.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • For a while I've wanted to get involved on a chaingang.

The-Warriors-Cast.jpg

One of my all time favourite films ugo.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just do it. it'll be fine.

its a bunch of clubbies riding along, not sagan et al.

if they act like dicks just leave them to it and find some nice people to ride with.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Go with the expectation that you'll be dropped in the first 30 minutes and you'll be fine
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • j

if they act like dicks just leave them to it and find some nice people to ride with.

Sounds like my local club chaingang :lol:
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Go with the expectation that you'll be dropped in the first 30 minutes and you'll be fine

This. Make sure you know the way home too, just in case. If you don't go, you'll never know.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    I was in the same boat as you last summer, I decided to just go for it and ended up getting dropped 3 or 4 weeks in a row. Eventually made it all the way around a few times (barely). You will only gain in ability and confidence the more of them you do, they are great fun and usually end with a sprint finish which I really enjoy.

If you are really blowing there is no problem with skipping a turn too, just hang on at the back.

Good luck!
  • ugo.santalucia

The-Warriors-Cast.jpg

Yeah, a film with many layers... can be enjoyed at all ages and even many years later... and a great soundtrack too
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Only one way to find out?

Bingo.
  • Matthewfalle

The-Warriors-Cast.jpg

Yeah, a film with many layers... can be enjoyed at all ages and even many years later... and a great soundtrack too

looks like a scene from gangbang 7 or other such similar grot..

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    How would you know matthew? They your co-stars?
  • ugo.santalucia

Blasfemy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(film)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Mapaputsi wrote:
    I was in the same boat as you last summer, I decided to just go for it and ended up getting dropped 3 or 4 weeks in a row. Eventually made it all the way around a few times (barely). You will only gain in ability and confidence the more of them you do, they are great fun and usually end with a sprint finish which I really enjoy.

If you are really blowing there is no problem with skipping a turn too, just hang on at the back.

Good luck!
    This! If you are averaging 18mph on a reasonably hilly 50 miles I suspect you won't be the first to be dropped unless it's a seriously elite chainy. If you do start blowing skip a few turns as above - after a few weeks you'll be contending with the best of them ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    elite

:)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

Blasfemy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(film)

infamy i tell you! infamy! they've all got it infamy!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I had a go a few weeks ago. The local club has a loop the racers do one a few laps of one evening a week and were encouraging newbies. Pre-season apparently the pace might be a bit slower.

It seemed a good time to try as I'd been riding through the winter and was feeling as strong as I have ever done. OK, so I got dropped a couple of times but they were nice chaps and I wasn't the only one. Definitely worth giving it a go. I haven't been back yet partly because the guy who organises it has been out of action.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you don't try you'll never know.
    I heard one chap commenting about another guy who just about hung onto the group - that he should've gone with the slower group - but that's just it - you don't know unless you try.
    I went with the faster group on the basis that if I'm dropped, I'm dropped - I'm old enough to look after myself.
    Like Pro racing - chaingangs are an individual group ride - all the time you're in the group you can take a tow/shelter - once you're out the group, you're on your own ...
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Just go and see how you get on.

It may be worth familiarising yourself with the route, check out where the hills are and if you are struggling then miss a few turns before the hills so you are not on the limit when it ramps up.
  • Matthewfalle
    kingdav wrote:
    I had a go a few weeks ago. The local club has a loop the racers do one a few laps of one evening a week and were encouraging newbies. Pre-season apparently the pace might be a bit slower.

It seemed a good time to try as I'd been riding through the winter and was feeling as strong as I have ever done. OK, so I got dropped a couple of times but they were nice chaps and I wasn't the only one. Definitely worth giving it a go. I haven't been back yet partly because the guy who organises it has been out of action.

A loop the racers do

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingdav wrote:

A loop the racers do

its a bunch of clubbies riding along, not sagan et al.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Stick to Zwift
  • That'll be fine. In cycling money 28kph solo with 750m over 70km is good. The Cat1/Elites may well hurt you but skip a turn or just fall off the back and then try to use any descents to get back on. Part of the motivation of chain gangs is in getting dropped a few times.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Our club A rides average about 17mph in reality over about 70miles. 18mph solo is pretty good. Remember it is far easier in a group and you tend to get pulled along leaving enough energy for a quick go up front. I'd go for it. Even the Pros can't hack it up front all day. Years ago in Mallorca I ended up in the middle of the Shimano team peleton when they were on a training ride. Actually managed to stay with there for a bit, Unbelieveable! Might have been just seconds though :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Club A rides

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Warriors, come out to play-aaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    Do not ride with team Cinzano.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZ0N7VTDtY
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Went to my first chain of the season and blew 10 miles in. I'll be back, and going for the same group, next week - I'll probably get dropped another few miles down the line. In a few weeks I'll be back to making it round again.

Just do it! Great fun, you'll be attacking the run-in in no time.