Travel reduction Rockshox Revelation RCT3 Dual Air.

gandalfsteve
gandalfsteve Posts: 13
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
BikeRadar

SearchSkip to content

Menu  

Search

Login Login

Discipline 

HomeReviewsHow ToNewsFeaturesDealsForumMore 

Your posts New posts Private messages [0] User Control PanelLogout

Board index Mountain biking forum MTB Buying Advice

Travel reduction Rockshox Revelation RCT3 Dual Air.

Hello, i could do with some input from folks that know their older Rockshox forks. Bike is a 2010 Specialized Camber Elite, size XL. I'm 6'2" or so and 13.5 stones.
I'm planning to change the basic Rekon Gold fork for something a little better. Unfortunately, choices seem limited. Straight steerer, 1 1/8 and 26" wheels with max travel 120mm. I like the bike and it's better than me in most respects - except that damn fork. I have to have it at max pressure to get anything out of it and it bottoms out (enough to throw me off) at the slightest provocation.. 
I've been looking at a Revelation RCT3 Dual Air on ebay, that has a straight steerer etc. but comes in at 150mm travel. I've struggled to find specs that tell me whether I can do it (reduce to 120mm). Lots for Solo Air, can't find anything on Dual Air.

Is it possible?
Are there realistic alternatives?
Am I really looking at ways to wring the best I can out of a pretty limited stock fork because there's nothing else to do?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Recon Gold isn’t a bad fork.
    If you have it at max pressure but it still bottoms out there could be a problem internally. When did you last service it/get it serviced?

Don’t know what your budget is but Merlin have 120mm travel Reba forks for £355.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    The Recon Gold isn’t a bad fork.
    If you have it at max pressure but it still bottoms out there could be a problem internally. When did you last service it/get it serviced?

Don’t know what your budget is but Merlin have 120mm travel Reba forks for £355.

Thanks for your reply. I bought it as more or less un-ridden from new last July. Bike had been serviced including forks.
    I have found them unresponsive from the get go but biggest problems have bee dropping the front end into a, say, 5 inch hole with a steep exit and as the wheel settles into the hole, travel is taken up and I run out of travel and stop - nothing pushing back. Rebound set high.

They're a pretty cheap fork I think and if I could get one with a straight steerer, I'd probably go after a pike or similar. Prefer used but would go new if the improvement was big enough to justify the expense.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    How many psi is this max pressure? There is no way any fork should bottom out for a drop of 5in at your weight, maybe at 5 foot and 20 stone perhaps.

Don't seem right to me.

Although the world has gone 29 in and tapered steerer, still should be possible to get one, also see offerings by fox.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sag are you running?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.