Bike Stolen - £2k Replacement?

tommyguns
tommyguns Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Well, the bastards took my 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp the other night. Luckily it was insured so I will have roughly £2k to spend on a replacement (would consider pushing this to £2.5'ish if a particular bike speaks to me).

Any advice? I was very happy with the Stumpjumper so I guess something of fairly similar spec would be good.

It's a little over budget but I've heard good things about YT - https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail ... tegory/509

I do both trail and downhill riding (equal mix really) so I assume an all mountain would be better than enduro?

Any and all input much appreciated,

Thanks.

Comments

• tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    Canyon spectral.

There's an alloy version with GX eagle for £2300 - the AL6.0, or with XT 2x for £2500 - AL7.0, or if you can stretch the budget a tiny bit, the carbon CF8.0 with eagle is £2700.

Awesome bike.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    tommyguns wrote:

I do both trail and downhill riding (equal mix really)

Thanks.

Do you mean 'Down Hill' or that you ride down hills?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think he means downhill riding.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Vote for Jeffsy for me. If I was going FS it would be high on my list!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Bird aeris 145, there’s a longer travel version now too.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Commencal Meta, or YT Jeffsy (I have a Jeffsy and can highly recommend, although prices have been hiked and spec downgraded for 2018 :( )

I’ve ridden the Bird Aeris 120 and it was great but the Jeffsy is better for longer days in the saddle.

Any of the Whytes aswell.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    JGTR wrote:
    Commencal Meta, or YT Jeffsy (I have a Jeffsy and can highly recommend, although prices have been hiked and spec downgraded for 2018 :( )

I’ve ridden the Bird Aeris 120 and it was great but the Jeffsy is better for longer days in the saddle.

Any of the Whytes aswell.

I can’t pretend to know the Jeffsy spec off the top of my head and can’t be arsed to look it up, but I think the 145 would be more comparable. Geometry is different to the 120, as well as the obvious longer travel.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, much appreciated. In a rather irritating development with the insurance, it turns out I'm limited where I buy the replacement. So as it stands it's looking like it'll either be the Stumpjumper 2019 comp or Giant Trance 2 2018. The dealer doesn't stock any other above brands unfortunately.

Looking at the spec there isn't a huge difference between the two. Does anyone have experience of either/both? Thoughts?

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV337851

https://www.wheelies.co.uk/shop/p113729 ... -Bike.aspx

Many thanks.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    tommyguns wrote:
    Looking at the spec there isn't a huge difference between the two. Does anyone have experience of either/both? Thoughts?
    https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV337851
    https://www.wheelies.co.uk/shop/p113729 ... -Bike.aspx

Random and possibly irellevant experience..

Had a 2009 Trance X. Headtube was quite long and the shock was an "odd" length which meant limited choice when looking at replacement second hand forks/shocks.

Not really something high up in my criteria when picking a bike though and haven't tried the newer Trances.
    Stumpjumper says it has 2.6" tyres, sounds pretty fat to me but could be good for DH? Might give great mud clearance though if you put a 2.3/2.4 on it.
    Trance says it has a press fit BB, Stumpjumper is old skool threaded 24 mm.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and a 2016 Trance 2.
    I love the Stumpy but the proprietary shock put me off buying another one, hence the Trance.

Both are great bikes and now Specialized have gone back to off-the-shelf shocks I would seriously consider getting a Stumpy if I was in the market for a new bike.

Spec-wise there is not much between the two bikes you have linked to. The return to a threaded BB is a good move by Spesh IMO, but having said that I replaced the push-fit BB on my Trance with a thread together jobbie from Wheels Manufacturing and it has been faultless.

Best thing to do is get test rides if possible, otherwise go for whichever you consider to be the nicer colour. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    tommyguns wrote:
    In a rather irritating development with the insurance, it turns out I'm limited where I buy the replacement.
    I had this a few years ago and asked about a cash option as I couldn't get what I wanted. It was about 15 or 20% less to do that which is a big chunk, but if you can get the bike you want discounted might be an option worth considering.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Often the replacement places are a rip off anyway. They are already giving the insurer a fat discount (probably more than the difference between the cash settlement) and prices are RRP, so you can often do better taking the cash and shopping around.

Especially when the 2017 model looks like identical spec for £1750.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s183p ... 5cQAvD_BwE
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools