Ferrari and the 1996 Spanish Track Cycling Team

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited April 2018 in Pro race
So according to Luis García del Moral of USPS fame, the Spanish Track Cycling Team were prepared for the 1996 games by Ferrari. Not exactly a shocker.

https://www.archyworldys.com/world-scan ... ling-team/

Translation is horrible. Original story in El Pais
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    And they were still rubbish....

Maybe Ferrari's not all that he's cracked up to be.

Does anyone really care though.

(As an interesting aside, this allegedly doped up pursuit team rode a 4.12 pursuit, which is slower than Charlie Tanfield (4.11) did on his own in the Commonwealths last week. Which just goes to show the huge advances in other technologies over the years)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Cyclists in the 90s taking EPO and HGH shocker.

Not exactly new is it? Nevermind the time, Charlie Tanfield wasn't even born then.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I do remember the games vividly but didn't really catch any track action other than Boardman. Did they get any medals then ?

Why is he breaking the silence now ?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    They didn't medal on the track, no. Gold and Silver on the Road TT (Big Mig and Olano, Boardman took Bronze)
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    I do remember the games vividly but didn't really catch any track action other than Boardman. Did they get any medals then ?

He's not breaking his silence now. This is something he told CAS two years ago. I don't know why it is now in the public domain.

They got no medals on the track although Joan Llaneras went on to win gold in the points race in 2000 and 2008, and silver in 2004. I saw him win the 2008 one. His wife was sitting behind me.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    sherer wrote:

Maybe he’s starting with his earliest memories and is intending to chart the rest - all the way up to his dismissal. Clearly, this would need to be done in instalments...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

He's not breaking his silence now. This is something he told CAS two years ago. I don't know why it is now in the public domain.

They got no medals on the track although Joan Llaneras went on to win gold in the points race in 2000 and 2008, and silver in 2004. I saw him win the 2008 one. His wife was sitting behind me.

You sure?
    I’ve scoured the mixed tandem start list and can’t see you anywhere...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    sherer wrote:
    I do remember the games vividly but didn't really catch any track action other than Boardman.
    Your memories can't be that vivid, Boardman didn't ride the track in Atlanta.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    andyp wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    I do remember the games vividly but didn't really catch any track action other than Boardman.
    just reading his book . he did the TT i think , obree did the track .
  • RichN95.
    tim000 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Yeah he got the bronze in the TT, behind the only two Spaniards who won a medal.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yeah he got the bronze in the TT, behind the only two Spaniards who won a medal.
    One of whom was a Ferrari client, the other a Conconi client.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    tim000 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    sherer wrote:

confusing 92 to 96 it seems