Schwalbe tyres for rocky conditions

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
I am in Indonesia and Schwalbe is made here, so I would prefer Schwalbe, I have 19mm rims and probably looking at 26x2.35 to 26x2.5" tyres. Any recommendations for conditions that consist mainly of loose rocks, which are sometimes wet?

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you never tried any schwalbe nobby nics or hans dampf in those conditions?

19mm rims your probably best not going over 2.35 any larger and the tyre profile will be awful.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you go for Schwalbe tyres and want them to grip in the wet make sure you buy one of the Evolution compounds. The Performance compound is awful in the wet.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm running the Nobby Nic Addix Speedgrip - very little grip in the wet. Might be better on drier terrain but here in the wet UK they aren't the best.
    I've only just put them on my trail bike thinking the good weather is coming. Have done about 6 rides with them and not been impressed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strange as I was really happy with my old EVO's, that said the Blue on the Nobby Nics is roughly the equivalent of the faster rolling Pacestar which I didnt use up front but stuck to the Trailstar which seems to be the equivalant of the Orange.
    https://www.schwalbe.com/addix-compound/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    Same here: Pacestar on the rear, Trailstar on the front.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • w00dster
    Nobby Nic front and back - its a new bike and I stupidly thought I'd get it set up for the better weather to come.....
    Tempted to put something different on the front and keep the NN on the back.

We've had so much wet weather the trails I ride are a quagmire. The tyre doesn't seem to shake off really wet claggy mud, its probably still winter/mud tyre weather really and I jumped the gun by a couple of months!

Hoping the trails dry out soon, heading out shortly and have to admit riding at the weekend was almost un-rideable in places. The last ride was probably the least amount of fun I've had on a bike, when not slipping and sliding I was trying to pedal through 6 inch deep clag. Fair to say the NN isn't an ideal tyre for these conditions.
  • JBA
    w00dster - check the tyre sidewalls to determine what compound the tyres are. If they are 'Performance' get rid of them.
    If they are 'Evolution' (Evo) they should be ok but you'll have to play about with the pressures.

Not many tyres will be any good in 6" of mud though.

• w00dster
    Hi JRA, they are the Evo, in the drier almost dusty trail today they were pretty good. Still a little sketchy on the loose gravel berms (, at least compared to my normal Maxxis Shorty and Minion combo. They did feel quick on the dry and more open stretches today.
    The Nobby Nic's are setup tubeless. I'll check the pressure before I ride tomorrow. I generally run low pressure, about 22psi. But I only use my Road / Track pump rather than a digital reader, this could possibly be over-pumping them. (I weigh about 67 or 68kgs)
  • w00dster
    Somewhat coincidentaly there’s a review of my bike on BR and they also mention the nobby nic’s not being the grippiest.

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/cate ... iew-51968/