Removing seized pedal

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Having quite a bit of bother removing a pedal from the crank.I have ran out of ideas how to get the pedal off...thought it would have been handy enough cos I used the copper grease when I put them on....one came off easily enough but the other is a different ball game

Anyway has anybody got any ideas or tips how to get it off

TIA
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• One is a left hand thread the other a right, are you turning it the correct way?
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    One is a left hand thread the other a right, are you turning it the correct way?
    Yeah...1st thing I checked just in case
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • gazza1286
    gazza1286 Posts: 45
    A dedicated pedal spanner and a mallet will do it every time. Sounds like you've had them off recently so persevere. It'll just need a jolt to get it started.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nice long pedal spanner and a rubber mallet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Several toe straps or similar to hold the other crank whilst trying all the above to remove the pedal. Soak with plusgas or similar and try again.
    I had the same situation recently with a pair of pedals that had been on the crank less than six months and greased when fitted, not helped by the 8mm allen key needed, not a pedal spanner to remove them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Go in this order
    1. A pedal spanner with looooonnnnnggg lever
    2. Penetrating oil(spray on and leave over night)
    3. Heat up the cranks, but not the pedals
    4. Use some thing like finish line chill zone on the pedal axle to bring it to extremely low temperature
    5. Do both 3 and 4
    6. Yank the cranks and pedals off, toss the in the garbage, get a new one, and remember to use antiseize this time.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Just gonna add do it at ur own risk, don't blame me if it burns your house down.
  • My 2006 Time ATAC Carbon XS pedals looked to be seized on my old Felt F5C, when I tried to remove them to put on my Voodoo ~2 years ago. I went wild with GT85 IIRC around the screw threads, suddenly remembered the pedals at least months later while waiting for the Cube to arrive, came off with pedal spanner.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ive found some of the stuff from halfords works, penetrating fluid that freezes and then CRACK out they come. Works on siezed everything including seat posts / bottom brackets etc.

Use it with the door and windows open ............
  • Jay85be
    Jay85be Posts: 8
    More force.

I've always ridden with SPD pedals but recently switched to SL. the SPD's were so stuck I ruined multiple allen keys. I bought a larger set and some creeping oil and I tried to apply as much force as I could with my foot. It came out eventually.

The joy was immense.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have got a garden rake or something similar ? You need a long metal tube to go over the spanner to give it more force.

Worked for me anyway !
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    If it's the non-drive side crank and the pedal is very difficult to remove, it's usually easier to remove the crank from the axle, fit spanner to pedal with an acute angle between spanner and crank, and then either rest the spanner on the floor and push the other end of the crank down, or vice versa.