New brakes.... or nah?

MTBerSurrey
MTBerSurrey Posts: 52
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

New bike on the way (Vitus Escarpe VR SLX 2018) and really happy with all components, especially considering I got £200 off. All but the brakes. Shimano BR-M500. Never heard of them? Could maybe be the BR-MT5000 but hard to say. Either way. Presume they are not great. Anybody have experience with them before I buy new brakes.

Alternatively, I have some SRAM Levels in my hardtail which are not to bad. Could stick them on?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod159743

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You presume they are not great?

Woudn't it make sense to try them first?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why are you presuming they are not great?

They are new generation Deore brakes. Nothing wrong with them at all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:

JBA wrote:

I ‘presumed’ as I couldn’t find anything about them so ‘presumed’ they was some super budget rubbish brake.

However, based on your answer, I did Some additional googling and it looks like Shimano produce non series editions of components so that manufacturers can spec a lower part with a higher part. In this case Deore is under SLX and therefore rather than SLX / Deore build. The Deore M6000 has another code (BR MT500 and is unbranded for the build.

Overall. You have inadvertently answered my question. They will be good, not poo.
  • cooldad wrote:
    You presume they are not great?

Woudn't it make sense to try them first?

No because I am impatient and want to build my bike exactly as I want it on day dot.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Impossible aspiration, ride it first and find out what works exactly as you want and what doesn’t. And as you refine some things you’ll find others that aren’t then quite as you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    As above it seems a bit daft to upgrade anything on a brand new bike until you've given it a good test.
  • tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    Hi All.

New bike on the way (Vitus Escarpe VR SLX 2018) and really happy with all components, especially considering I got £200 off. All but the brakes. Shimano BR-M500. Never heard of them? Could maybe be the BR-MT5000 but hard to say. Either way. Presume they are not great. Anybody have experience with them before I buy new brakes.

Alternatively, I have some SRAM Levels in my hardtail which are not to bad. Could stick them on?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod159743
    Let me know how long they take for delivery - I'll also be ordering the exact same bike (in XL) on Monday/Tuesday :D

TBH the brakes were the only part I thought might need upgrading after a while, I'll use them as is for the time being but I'll probably keep my eye out for a set of Guide R's on ebay.

The MT500's have resin pads so they may not last very long in wet, muddy, gritty conditions (aka, the UK).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can actually replace pads when they wear out.

Just saying....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As someone who gets pads to last ages (metal occasionally, kevlar mostly or organic when it comes with them) i don't get some of these comments, I ride my MTB on average 30 miles a week and can go 2 years without needing pads, maybe I need to sissy brake a lot more?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The Rookie wrote:
    As someone who gets pads to last ages (metal occasionally, kevlar mostly or organic when it comes with them) i don't get some of these comments, I ride my MTB on average 30 miles a week and can go 2 years without needing pads, maybe I need to sissy brake a lot more?

Same here, only ever changed one set of pads in 5 years, and even then it was just to try a different type
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    The Rookie wrote:

Agreed on this similar for me, Infact I’m nearing 3 years on mine... don’t think I’ve used the brakes in 6 months... so much rain and mud you can just roll to a stop and if you build up speed braking is fairly pointless anyway.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    The Rookie wrote:

Different bikes do seem to wear differently? And different terrains and riding styles, my old Commute MTB grinds though pads in 2000 ish miles. The MTB which is a “Trail” bike guess 500 ish miles the Gravel bike 200 miles it just eats the things!
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    I think it depends on what you ride and how much you actually brake... I bought my XC and trail bike 2 weeks apart in August... I mostly ride XC these days and the pads still look new on the XC bike. The trail bike pads lasted about 2 months before they were down to the metal. I only ever use the trail bike when I go to BPW/Afan/Cwmcarn where having good stopping power is essential and I can be quite heavy on the brakes at times.