Syria

robert88
robert88 Posts: 2,696
edited April 2018 in The cake stop
Is China the elephant in the room?

China could be the wild card if US attacks Syria

Washington politicians tend to project their own fears, desires, and lack of understanding on to others, assuming they will react according to the assumptions held in the Beltway. However, the inability for self-reflection and to stand in others’ shoes so as to understand their perspectives is dangerous – and risks misperception, miscalculation, and escalation of limited military conflict into a larger war.

what’s at stake for China in Syria?

As widely reported, Chinese troops are already on the ground in Syria to fight thousands of Uyghur militants, whether in ISIS or the Chinese al-Qaeda. Jihadists launched an attack on the Chinese Embassy in Kyrgyzstan in 2016, and Beijing fears that they plan on further attacking China’s territory and its citizens and assets abroad.

If the Syrian government is toppled by US military strikes and the armed opposition consisting of various jihadist groups, including Uyghurs, are allowed a permanent safe haven in Syria, they will continue to be trained and equipped as a more professional fighting force to attack China and partition Xinjiang, similar to the current partitioning of Syria.

Comments

• LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    No, that would be Israel.
  • robert88
    LiamW wrote:
    No, that would be Israel.

Israel we already know about. Not exactly hard to spot.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    It isn't hard to spot no, but it's certainly the one with the biggest agenda. China i believe are interested in deals to rebuild the Syrian infrastructure and the profits that come from that. But other that that i doubt their intentions run much deeper.
  • robert88
    Clearly people who post on this section simply don't read what is placed before them.

They have a perspective and fail to understand that other countries have different perspectives.

Not surprising Trump has an unshakeable core following.

China is a candidate for becoming the world's most powerful nation, aided by Trump's incompetence.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    LiamW wrote:
    It isn't hard to spot no, but it's certainly the one with the biggest agenda. China i believe are interested in deals to rebuild the Syrian infrastructure and the profits that come from that. But other that that i doubt their intentions run much deeper.

Not forgetting access to oil and gas.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • robert88
    What next?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Robert88 wrote:
    What next?
    According to the BBC news, the investigation to what chemicals were originally used and where they came from. :roll:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.