Action Cam Mounting

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2018 in Commuting chat
I've recently bought a GoPro clone, £30, recording quality is really good! Bought it just to see what it was like to be honest.

I'm not planning on using it on the bike all the time but I have done a few commutes with it mounted on top of my Exposure light which in turn is fitted to my handlebars. I was suprised at just how much vibration there is in the video. The Exposure mount appears solid, and I've attached the camera using cable ties (again it appears very solid). Between the light and the camera I put put some thin foam before I tightened up the ties.

I'm going to mount it on my crash helmet just to try it, but to be honest they look really stupid stuck on top.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to mount it to the bike to reduce vibration as much as poss?

Ta.

Comments

• -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Helmet mounted definitely makes you look like a teletubby.

Mounting it to your exposure light is bound to cause problems as the light can move it self and aren't they just elastic mounts?

You need something like this: https://k-edge.com/shop/light-and-actio ... bar-mount/

Similar things exist from lifeline + various other brands. Alloy mounts seem to produce less buzz and flex than plastic mounts... and less likely to snap too. You can also get garmin/gopro combination mounts.
  • essex-commuter
    -Dash wrote:
    Helmet mounted definitely makes you look like a teletubby.

Mounting it to your exposure light is bound to cause problems as the light can move it self and aren't they just elastic mounts?

You need something like this: https://k-edge.com/shop/light-and-actio ... bar-mount/

Similar things exist from lifeline + various other brands. Alloy mounts seem to produce less buzz and flex than plastic mounts... and less likely to snap too. You can also get garmin/gopro combination mounts.

No the Exposure is a solid mount, but the fact that it's a quick release I guess it must make it worse. I'll have a look for something similar to your link - thank you.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a cheap metal mount like this

K-Edge-Go-Big-Handlebar-Mount-Grey-500x500.jpg

and have my gopro slung under the bars, it works pretty well, footage is solid and was about £3 off ebay.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • essex-commuter
    prawny wrote:
    I've got a cheap metal mount like this

K-Edge-Go-Big-Handlebar-Mount-Grey-500x500.jpg

and have my gopro slung under the bars, it works pretty well, footage is solid and was about £3 off ebay.

That's exactly what I ordered a couple of days ago. I'm thinking if I do use it on the commuter I can leave the waterproof case attached and just remove the camera when I arrive t work, otherwise I will have to keep setting up the angle everytime I attach it.

Have you put a piece or rubber under yours or is it metal to metal?
  • prawny
    It came with a foam or rubber liner stuck to it I think, I can't really remember.

Definitely worth leaving the waterproof housing on though, I've got a gopro session and I bought another frame for when I use it on my MTB so I don't have to faff around unscrewing it.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I have a GoPro Session and had a bar-mount similar to the one above and also a mount under my seat. Quality was pretty good (see below).

But I wanted more space on my bars so bought an eBay cheap version of the out front Garmin mount with GoPro mount underneath. In short it was far too flexible and was rubbish.

So I bought a Garmin Virb mount (same fittings as GoPro) which was a bit more expensive but does the job as there isn't any flex in the mount.

Reverse facing saddle mount - good quality

forward facing cheapy eBay too flexible Garmin/GoPro combined mount - poor quality

forward facing Garmin Virb/Go Pro mount - good quality
    FCN = 4
  • essex-commuter
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I have a GoPro Session and had a bar-mount similar to the one above and also a mount under my seat. Quality was pretty good (see below).

But I wanted more space on my bars so bought an eBay cheap version of the out front Garmin mount with GoPro mount underneath. In short it was far too flexible and was rubbish.

So I bought a Garmin Virb mount (same fittings as GoPro) which was a bit more expensive but does the job as there isn't any flex in the mount.

Reverse facing saddle mount - good quality

forward facing cheapy eBay too flexible Garmin/GoPro combined mount - poor quality

forward facing Garmin Virb/Go Pro mount - good quality

Thanks for that. Looking at your videos mine are similar to your eBay cheap version of the out front Garmin mount.

It's surprising the difference the mount makes. I'm hoping the one I mentioned above works as well as I think it will, I'll post back here as soon as I've received it and given it a go.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

No probs

EDIT: There are of course other options for a stable platform;

Chesty mount a.k.a. the Sports/Trainer Bra look

Crotch cam

But while you feel more connected to the rider in the video, overall the out-front bar mount probably wins for being least obtrusive
    FCN = 4
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I've recently bought a GoPro clone, £30, recording quality is really good! Bought it just to see what it was like to be honest.

I'm not planning on using it on the bike all the time but I have done a few commutes with it mounted on top of my Exposure light which in turn is fitted to my handlebars. I was suprised at just how much vibration there is in the video. The Exposure mount appears solid, and I've attached the camera using cable ties (again it appears very solid). Between the light and the camera I put put some thin foam before I tightened up the ties.

I'm going to mount it on my crash helmet just to try it, but to be honest they look really stupid stuck on top.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to mount it to the bike to reduce vibration as much as poss?

Ta.

Do you have a Garmin? If so the Moon Combi mount is the best choice.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • essex-commuter
    prawny wrote:
    It came with a foam or rubber liner stuck to it I think, I can't really remember.

Definitely worth leaving the waterproof housing on though, I've got a gopro session and I bought another frame for when I use it on my MTB so I don't have to faff around unscrewing it.

It arrived yesterday in (fetching anodised red!), tried it this morning...perfect!!
  • essex-commuter

I do, I'll check that out, thank you.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

I do, I'll check that out, thank you.

https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-handl ... 04696.html

I bought a couple, my views here:

https://roubaixcycling.cc/2018/03/13/th ... t-roundup/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • prawny
    A mate at work was telling me about the lifeline faceplate one, I'm going to have a look at that soon.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017