1x/ss conversion

captainwow15
captainwow15 Posts: 17
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

After some tinkering on my 2013 Boardman HT, I need to replace the crankset and BB, the drive side thread is shot, the non-drive side splines are pretty round and the rings have some sizeable chunks missing.

I'm tempted to switch to 1x10 or potentially even single speed in the future as I'm planning on getting a new bike in the not too distant future.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a 1x crankset and BB, ideally cheap as it's going to be a commuter/winter bike. I plan to keep the 10 speed at the back for the moment, but may switch to SS down the line.

Cheers,

Andy

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    1. if RH bb thread is knackered in the frame, then expect the bb itself to come loose; either frame needs to be repaired or you can use a special BB that does not rely on the frame threads (these were available in square taper).

2. if your chainset has 3 rings, replace the middle one and remove the other 2 so you have in effect single speed; doesn't make much sense throwing money due to 1. above.
  • Sorry, should have explained better:
    1. Thread on the drive side crank arm is shot, so I can't install pedals and so need a new crank arm/axle (running FSA 3 bolt system). Non-drive side the spline connectors(?) are rounded so wouldn't feel comfortable connecting to a new axle.
    - BB is a bit crunchy but the shell seems fine.
    2. Chainrings could do with replacing, so thought it best to replace it all together.

Currently looking for a cheap 1x chainset and relevant BB for a 68mm shell. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Cheapest 1x chainset is likely to be 3 ring but with only middle ring fitted.

What format is the BB, square taper, shimano external or other.

BB are cheap, £10-15 so if you have the tools, is not difficult to replace.
  • Like said a triple crank with a single ring fitted is cheapest.

I paid £20 for a fc m590 £10 for single ring, £10 for bb52.