Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra

racerex
racerex Posts: 69
edited April 2018 in Your road bikes
Apologize in advance for the poor photo quality, this bike is so stealth it is hard to get a picture of...

jH69cHq.jpg

Pretty much stock, swapped out wheels, bars, stem, cassette to make it a little more "roadworthy". I think I need to swap to a short cage derailleur to get it looking right.

Comments

• racerex wrote:
    Apologize in advance for the poor photo quality, this bike is so stealth it is hard to get a picture of...

jH69cHq.jpg

Pretty much stock, swapped out wheels, bars, stem, cassette to make it a little more "roadworthy". I think I need to swap to a short cage derailleur to get it looking right.

Looks good!

I'm interested in this bike too - do you know what the out-of-the-box weight was?
    My LBS told me 8.9kg for a 56cm, but that seems a bit high...

What's the weight now with your changes?

Have you had chance to ride it yet?

Did it come with the Cannondale mudguards and bridge?

Thanks!
  • racerex
    Mine is a 54. Sorry, I didn't weigh it with the stock wheels. If I get time I may swap them back and check. As-is, I weighed it at 8.52kg with pedals. If I subtract 328g (listed weight for Look Keo 2 Max Carbon) it should be just under 8.2 without. I believe the Mavic Ksyrium Pro All-Roads that I have on it now are 300g + lighter than the Aksiums that came stock, but still not really light wheels. Also I went to a 12-25 cassette which I'm sure is a little lighter than the stock 11-32. I swapped the bars and stem from another bike just to get a little longer and lower and I didn't like the bend on the stock SI bars. So I don't know if the Deda's on it now are lighter, maybe a little. So I would figure right around 8.5kg stock for the 54 without pedals. Personally I think that's pretty respectable for an under $3,000.00(US) Ultegra hydraulic disc bike these days, but I'm no weight-weenie anyway.

As for the ride, I love it. Comfortable, stable, quick. Soaks up road bumps terrifically but I'm also comparing 28's vs 25's on my old bike. 1st bike I've had since I was a kid that I felt comfortable taking both hands off the bars at speed.

It did come with the removable brake bridge, but no mudguards. Lots of little screw attachments though if you need those things. Truth is I live in Florida, so not much need for mudguards. Smooth asphalt and blue skies 365 days a year. Also explains the 12-25, and that's only because I'm getting older. Until last year I was riding an 11-20.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    you need to rotate the bars up - bottoms should be horizontal.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • racerex
    you need to rotate the bars up - bottoms should be horizontal.

I don't know if you're screwing with me... Honestly, which way is "bars up"? I think the picture makes it look like the bar ends should go down a little, so the hoods up? But I think it's just the perspective. The bubble in my level says the bar ends could go up a smidge. For the record, I absolutely agree the bars should be level. I should not be caught out in public with anything less.

But more importantly, I have a question. Back in the day, I was taught that the bottom of the brake levers should also always, always, be level with the bottom of the bars. Now more and more I see hoods protruding off the tops almost vertically. What is the proper set up for hoods/levers on the bar?

0y5zF3Q.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    racerex wrote:
    Back in the day, I was taught that the bottom of the brake levers should also always, always, be level with the bottom of the bars.

Never heard of that, but it's a completely meaningless metric, for all kinds of reasons - and probably best ignored. To be fair, it probably explains why your bar position looks so awkward.
  • racerex, thanks very much for your detailed comments, very helpful!

One of the UK bike shops had the Ultegra model on offer for £2k (down from £2.7k) so I was considering buying that model, stripping everything bar the frameset and wheels, and seeing how close I could get to the weight of the much more expensive hi-mod models, which are apparently around 7.25kg for the Dura-ace/eTap builds.

The shop that were running the offer weighed a 56cm out-of-the-box Ultegra build at 8.9kg, and I worked out that it was possible to save about 1kg by swapping out the wheels and finishing kit, so it didn't seem worth doing. But your estimate of the weight at 8.5kg makes it a much more interesting proposition!

Would you mind weighing the stock Aksium wheels for me if you have time? They're listed online at 2050g.

"Smooth asphalt and blue skies 365 days a year." Having spent the last 6 months in full winter kit, I can only dream of that!
  • racerex
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:
    Back in the day, I was taught that the bottom of the brake levers should also always, always, be level with the bottom of the bars.

Never heard of that, but it's a completely meaningless metric, for all kinds of reasons - and probably best ignored. To be fair, it probably explains why your bar position looks so awkward.

You did not really mean to say "meaningless metric", did you? You may need to familiarize yourself with the rules...

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

See Rule no. 46.
  • imposter2.0
    Not sure if serious...
  • racerex
    Imposter wrote:
    Not sure if serious...
    I guess that's up to you. Some of us take the rules very seriously.
  • imposter2.0
    Not sure if that's serious either...
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    TBH it does look as if the bars need swivelling up but, hey it’s your bike.
    Remember the old adage ‘Rules are made to be broken’.
  • racerex
    diamonddog wrote:
    TBH it does look as if the bars need swivelling up but, hey it’s your bike.
    Remember the old adage ‘Rules are made to be broken’.

Okay, I agree the bars look wrong in the original post photo. So does everyone think the bubble in my level is screwing with me too? As a cyclist and a builder it feels like my whole world is crashing down around me.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ignore the spirit level, swivel the bars up and take a look at it. I think you will find it more comfortable when riding on the hoods and IMO it will look a lot better.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    The so called 'rules' are mostly bollox. You might as well follow the teachings of the Donald.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • racerex wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:

You did not really mean to say "meaningless metric", did you? You may need to familiarize yourself with the rules...

See Rule no. 46.

Jesus wept, a fat mamil bike owner quoting the rulez in 2018
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • racerex wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:

See Rule no. 46.

How do you know he’s a Fat Mamil? You are so rude and condescending SloppyShleckonds....never have a good word to say about anything. :roll:
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    racerex wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:

See Rule no. 46.

How do you know he’s a Fat Mamil? You are so rude and condescending SloppyShleckonds....never have a good word to say about anything. :roll:

Keyboard warrior of the highest order. Seems to have a bee in his bonnet about fat mamils lately. Maybe he should stop all the antagonistic responses and get out on his bike rather than trying to be the judge and jury on every subject posted on BR. And learn how to spell while he's at it!
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • racerex
    How do you know he’s a Fat Mamil? You are so rude and condescending SloppyShleckonds....never have a good word to say about anything. :roll:[/quote]

Keyboard warrior of the highest order. Seems to have a bee in his bonnet about fat mamils lately. Maybe he should stop all the antagonistic responses and get out on his bike rather than trying to be the judge and jury on every subject posted on BR. And learn how to spell while he's at it![/quote]

No worries. I've been called a lot of things, mamil included, but never fat. Actually I'm usually called cranky old white guy, but I am only cranky when I am not on my bike (not cowgil).

So it's unfortunate that a couple of guys with no sense of humor and nothing better to do than put up 8,000 posts on this website would feel a need to belittle fellow cyclists. But apparently they know better than me how to make my bike more comfortable. For the record, I do have better things to do and I am rarely uncomfortable riding another sunny day in Florida. So I'm done with this.

markgoldstein, I will weigh those Aksiums if I ever get a rainy day that I feel like wrestling the tires off of them. Wait, that would be never, I'll try to do it sooner.

See ya'.
  • 

racerex wrote:
    markgoldstein, I will weigh those Aksiums if I ever get a rainy day that I feel like wrestling the tires off of them. Wait, that would be never, I'll try to do it sooner.

Thanks! I don't mind if you weight them with the tyres and tubes...
  • imposter2.0
    Ride your bike how you want. Just don't quote those bullsh1t 'rules' as justification for your fit.
  • racerex
    Imposter wrote:
    Ride your bike how you want. Just don't quote those bullsh1t 'rules' as justification for your fit.

Of course not, it makes much more sense to listen to a bunch of strangers stalking an internet forum telling me how my bike should fit.

Unrelated question; are most of you guys from Great Britain?
  • imposter2.0
    racerex wrote:
    Of course not, it makes much more sense to listen to a bunch of strangers stalking an internet forum telling me how my bike should fit.

More sense than following a few made-up, arbitrary rules? Good work...
    racerex wrote:

Most are from the UK, not Great Britain. There's nothing particularly 'great' about this country at the moment.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited April 2018
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:

Most are from the UK, not Great Britain. There's nothing particularly 'great' about this country at the moment.

When it comes down to it, nowadays there is nothing particularly 'united' about it either.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • imposter2.0
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:

When it comes down to it, there is nothing particularly 'united' about it either.

Good point, well made ;)
  • racerex
    Imposter wrote:

Must have been a long, grey winter in the UK.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    racerex wrote:

Most definitely not. I would rather be in a cycling club and we know how appalling they are.

Britain. It's not that great.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    racerex wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Random comment? I don't see the link between our climate and your gullibility.
  • racerex
    Imposter wrote:
    racerex wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Random comment? I don't see the link between our climate and your gullibility.

It explains the lack of a sense of humor. Or do you not see the irony in ridiculing me for quoting "the rules" on a thread with an "Obsessive Compulsive Poser (OCP) guide to bike photos" pinned to the top.

Regardless, I understand and appreciate that "the rules" were written tongue-in-cheek and my reference was meant to be taken the same. Like some of you I'm sure, I grew up climbing on a 13-17 straight block with cleated toe clips. So the rules tend to ring true and bring back good memories. Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Bike looks good, :)
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    Very nice, I want that wheel set for my bike too