Mavic ust

Andymaxy
Andymaxy Posts: 197
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Mavic road ust.
Sounds like a good idea, tubeless magic.
Until now, here I am, trying to take the tube out of the tire so I can convert it to tubeless only to realize the tire is impossible to take off.
I can't take it off not because the they are tight, but rather the tire beads cannot be unhooked from the wheel.
This is a good thing when you flat, it means the tires won't roll off the rim, but now it's a real struggle.

After letting go of the air in both tires. I tried to take the tires off. I managed to take one bead off the wheel in the front, in the rear I have trouble removing both beads, it seems that the rim and bead are hooked to each other really tight.

Any suggestions?

This is my first time running into a problem like this, usually clincher tires let go of the rim as soon as the air is out.

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Is it safe to use a bit of WD-40
  • Have you tried this, i.e. pushing in? If so, then next I would put a wood block on the sidewall and use a rubber mallet to knock it in. I wouldn't use wd-40. Maybe someone else have better idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU4Oto-i5jc
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I would say the sealant that was in the tyre as stuck tyre wall to the rims, the side wall should push to the centre of the rims with a bit of force , I can normally do mine with using both my thumbs
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Mavic road ust.
    Until now, here I am, trying to take the tube out of the tire so I can convert it to tubeless only to realize the tire is impossible to take off.
    I can't take it off not because the they are tight, but rather the tire beads cannot be unhooked from the wheel.
    This is a good thing when you flat, it means the tires won't roll off the rim, but now it's a real struggle.

After letting go of the air in both tires. I tried to take the tires off. I managed to take one bead off the wheel in the front, in the rear I have trouble removing both beads, it seems that the rim and bead are hooked to each other really tight.

Any suggestions?

This is my first time running into a problem like this, usually clincher tires let go of the rim as soon as the air is out.

This is my experience of Tubeless rims too, they make changing tubes painful to the point that i wont use them. And the time taken to resolve a puncture that isnt sorted by the sealent for those running tubeless regularly brings group rides to a 15 minute stop.
  • Andymaxy
    I would say the sealant that was in the tyre as stuck tyre wall to the rims, the side wall should push to the centre of the rims with a bit of force , I can normally do mine with using both my thumbs

There's no sealant, the wheels are currently setup as clinchers, I need to take the tires off because I'm trying to convert to tubeless
  • Andymaxy
    Have you tried this, i.e. pushing in? If so, then next I would put a wood block on the sidewall and use a rubber mallet to knock it in. I wouldn't use wd-40. Maybe someone else have better idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU4Oto-i5jc

They make it look way easier than it is, the beads simply don't unseat
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Mavic road ust.

Any suggestions?

This is my experience of Tubeless rims too, they make changing tubes painful to the point that i wont use them. And the time taken to resolve a puncture that isnt sorted by the sealent for those running tubeless regularly brings group rides to a 15 minute stop.

It's been 10 hours, not 15 minutes
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Is it a Mavic UST tyre and a Mavic UST rim too?

I has a similar issue - a IRC tyre and a Ryde rim. I was struggling for ages and until a friend who was a mechanic turned up. He just rolled it off really easily, so the solution for me was for my thumbs to HTFU...!

If it's Mavic on Mavic, it's supposed to be simple. If it's another type of rim, then they may be a little too big. Anyway, the bead lock is doing what it's designed to do. He said you have to roll the tyre with the palms and thumbs and give it a lift as you push.