AGR - No Cauberg on final circuit again

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited April 2018 in Pro race
I know we have the little matter of Paris-Roubaix this weekend, but I was looking forward to mid-April and noticed that they have tweaked the final circuit of AGR again. This time they climb the Bemerleberg then hook a left down the relatively narrow Franse Steeg, through the village of Terblijt and back onto Rijksweg for the usual finish in Vilt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 00105&z=16

There's still 1km of straight, relatively wide road before the finish. The idea is to make the final few kilometres harder to control, apparently. There's several sharp bends to negotiate, presumably at pretty full on pace. Should be interesting, especially if wet, but hopefully for the right reasons....
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    pottssteve wrote:
    I know we have the little matter of Paris-Roubaix this weekend, but I was looking forward to mid-April and noticed that they have tweaked the final circuit of AGR again. This time they climb the Bemerleberg then hook a left down the relatively narrow Franse Steeg, through the village of Terblijt and back onto Rijksweg for the usual finish in Vilt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 00105&z=16

There's still 1km of straight, relatively wide road before the finish. The idea is to make the final few kilometres harder to control, apparently. There's several sharp bends to negotiate, presumably at pretty full on pace. Should be interesting, especially if wet, but hopefully for the right reasons....

Has the Mayor of Valkenburg upset the organisation? :(
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    What's the approach to the Bemerleberg like, going to miss the aero descending competition to get a decent position at the bottom of the Cauberg
  • pottssteve

Vilt is still classed as Valkenburg. The original finish at the top of the Cauberg meant that the whole race came down to the last 2km or so, with the strongest rider up winning. The finish was then moved a couple of km past the top of the Cauberg, to the finish location used by the 2012 World Campionships. However, this hasn't seen a big difference in terms of excitment in the last part of the race. The new route is apparently an attempt to make the race harder to control in the final 5km or so, and leave more riders in with a chance.

What's the approach to the Bemerleberg like,

The approach to Bemerleberg is a long, shallow drag up a two lane road (a couple of %), followed by a run through the village of Bemelen and then onto the Bemerleberg climb itself. Not really enough to thin a big group, and there's often a relatively large number of riders left at that stage. The Bemerleberg itself has a nasty little kick in the middle, but not really that tough, and then it drags on a big. The top part can get quite windy as it's exposed.

going to miss the aero descending competition to get a decent position at the bottom of the Cauberg.

The descent into Valkenberg used to be on the Daalhemerweg. Quite narrow, twisty in places, the road can stay damp for a long time under the trees. I used to get up to 65k/h with no effort at all coming down there - Lord only knows what the pros do. :shock:
  • Sun Dodger
    pottssteve wrote:

Vilt is still classed as Valkenburg. The original finish at the top of the Cauberg meant that the whole race came down to the last 2km or so, with the strongest rider up winning. The finish was then moved a couple of km past the top of the Cauberg, to the finish location used by the 2012 World Campionships. However, this hasn't seen a big difference in terms of excitment in the last part of the race. The new route is apparently an attempt to make the race harder to control in the final 5km or so, and leave more riders in with a chance.

The approach to Bemerleberg is a long, shallow drag up a two lane road (a couple of %), followed by a run through the village of Bemelen and then onto the Bemerleberg climb itself. Not really enough to thin a big group, and there's often a relatively large number of riders left at that stage. The Bemerleberg itself has a nasty little kick in the middle, but not really that tough, and then it drags on a big. The top part can get quite windy as it's exposed.

going to miss the aero descending competition to get a decent position at the bottom of the Cauberg.

The descent into Valkenberg used to be on the Daalhemerweg. Quite narrow, twisty in places, the road can stay damp for a long time under the trees. I used to get up to 65k/h with no effort at all coming down there - Lord only knows what the pros do. :shock:

Vilt might still be Valkenburg, but only 2 times up the Cauberg, and not at all on the final lap must put a dampener on the atmosphere in town.

Wasn't the Daalhemerweg used in the first two loops, then on the final one the Sibbegrubbe, followed by a lap of town? I know when I saw the pro's on the "direct" descent to the bottom of the Cauberg it scared the wits out of me...
  • pottssteve
    Sun Dodger wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Vilt might still be Valkenburg, but only 2 times up the Cauberg, and not at all on the final lap must put a dampener on the atmosphere in town.

Wasn't the Daalhemerweg used in the first two loops, then on the final one the Sibbegrubbe, followed by a lap of town? I know when I saw the pro's on the "direct" descent to the bottom of the Cauberg it scared the wits out of me...

I think there's an agreement for the race to start in Maastricht and end in Valkenburg. This is in place for a couple more years at least.
    They have been fiddling with the last section of the route for a few years and yes, it has included a descent of the Sibbergrubbe (which is also narrow, twisty and steep) and then a loop around town and up the Cauberg for the final lap. I guess people will watch the last climb up the Cauberg and then make their way up the hill to watch the final km or so. There are big screens set up around Vilt, and not just for the paying punters in the hospitality enclosure.

It will be interesting to see how it works out this year. If you can get along to Limburg it's a nice race to watch live.
  • Sun Dodger
    Definitely the best race to break the 'how-many-times-can-I-see-them-pass' record!