Hope pro 2 axle

hfear
hfear Posts: 8
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

To cut a long story short, I had to replace the back axle on my Marin Quad Trail Wolf-ridge 140 (08)...

It has hope pro 2 axles, but the new one i bought looks somewhat different to the original - has the hope pro 2 had a design change? - the originals look more like the hope pro 2 evo, but thats not what they are??

Cheers

H

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Hope don’t make axles.
    They make hubs and various adaptors to fit different frame/fork configurations.

What exactly are you trying to change and why?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JBA wrote:
    Hope don’t make axles.
    They make hubs and various adaptors to fit different frame/fork configurations.

What exactly are you trying to change and why?

I think they mean the part in the hub that the maxle goes through in the wheel to the thread in the frame dropout.

I think on the old pro 2 hubs they had to redesign the axle which is why it looks different.
  • hfear
    thanks for the replys,

this is what i bought;
    https://www.biketart.com/components-c4/ ... 736/s17257

but it looks a bit different to the original part even though it has the same name and dimensions etc.?

do you think they just changed the design?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    They could have, any tech documents on hope website?

What are you doing converting from a quick release to a through axle 142mm?

As you will need that and then the suitable axle end caps which provide the extra 7mm needed to make up the total axle size.
  • hfear
    thanks..

erm i'm not actually, - its a maxle thru axle system and i'm trying to keep it the same.
    the original had all seized up from the previous owner using lithium grease...
    so i had to buy a new maxle thru axle and the above hope 'axle'(?)
    I tried to get the same as the orginal - the hope 'axle' i've bought has the same name and it fits, but i'm just checking i've done the right thing being as it doesn't look the same???

cheers
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Pretty sure they changed the design about 7 years or so ago - they kept breaking when Rockshox replaced the original Maxle with the Maxle lite. Basically the lite version was thinner in some places so didn’t support it properly. Hope redesigned it to make it stronger where it needed to be.