Seized skewer

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2018 in The workshop
Front wheel, Winter bike. Wheel probably hasn't been removed for 2 years.

Skewer seized in, arm eventually snaps off. Other side (threaded) has screwed off. I'm left with a skewer 'rod' seized inside the axle. Gentle persuasion hasn't worked, I've actually bent the skewer slightly now as well. I've soaked in WD40 overnight, will look again when I get home (will be late as working a 4 hour drive from home at the moment).

Any other ideas?

Don't say new bike time because I have just bought one, I was actually removing the wheel from my old bike to swap tyres over!

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Have you tried getting a very thin screw driver or something pointed and tapping it out from one side using a hammer?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Just trying to visualise this. The lever has snapped and the quick release is still clamped on but you've removed the threaded end from the other side. Least brutal is to soak it in penetrating oil overnight and see if that does it. More brutal try to get hold of it with mole grips and try to turn it, the end will probably break off and you can get the wheel off. Most brutal take an angle grinder to it very carefully until you just pass the pivot point for the lever that should release the pressure so you can the wheel off.
  • essex-commuter
    The whole lever section snapped off (disintegrated!) leaving just the rod going through the axle. Other side screwed off as per normal.

The wheel is out of the bike.

I was brutal enough trying to remove the rod that's left, enough to burr the end over. It's seized solid.
  • essex-commuter
    I was converting the bike back to a proper CX so that I could sell it. If I can get the skewer out I'm not buying a replacement wheel, I'll probably strip the bike and sell the components

Mint condition Boardman CX frame in medium any good to anyone! Campag components? Hehe, I'm not confident this skewer is going to move.
  • veronese68
    The whole lever section snapped off (disintegrated!) leaving just the rod going through the axle.
    Aah, got you. Misunderstood how far your butchery had got you. If the end has flared out you'll have to grind that bit off to have any joy. If you are very lucky you might be able to get it out by soaking it in penetrating oil and then beating it out hard enough to move it but not so hard that it flares the end again. I suspect that's not going to happen.
    Try to sell it as parts, if that doesn't work buy a cheap used wheel and sell it complete.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've had the same problem before. I got it out by soaking overnight in WD40, and then holding the wheel and forcefully striking the protruding end of the skewer against the floor. Wrecked the skewer, but I'm still using the wheel.
  • essex-commuter
    I soaked it again last night. When I get home I'll put the wheel on my workmate with the spindle over the hole where the blocks usually fit it. Then I'll have a go with the hammer again. I don't care about flaring the end of the skewer, it's knackered anyway now. If I can get the skewer to move then I'll just cut of the end off the spindle so it will fit through the axle.

Still can't believe it's seized that bad!

I'm now thinking if it doesn't come out with force, would it be beneficial to remove the cup and cone so I can drive the bearing out still attached to the spindle? It can only be seized at the bearings, it's not exactly a tight fit going through the axle?? If I can get it out that way I can then get the bearing off in the vice.

Simple job swapping some tyres over...now a big headache!!
  • essex-commuter
    You can now relax and enjoy your weekend...IT'S OUT!!!!!

:D 8) :D 8) :lol: 8) :D
  • veronese68

Thank the lord for that, I was up half the night worrying. :lol:

Must confess I didn't think it would work.
  • essex-commuter
    Veronese68 wrote:

Thank the lord for that, I was up half the night worrying. :lol:

Must confess I didn't think it would work.

Can imagine, should have given me your mobile number and I would have text you! :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Come on then, you can't just leave us hanging! What worked in the end? Why was it stuck; was it dirt or corrosion or a bit of both? Has it damaged the axle or is the wheel OK?

I thought I was being a bit anal when I was removing and greasing skewers annually, but now I'm not so sure.
  • essex-commuter
    keef66 wrote:

Come on then, you can't just leave us hanging! What worked in the end? Why was it stuck; was it dirt or corrosion or a bit of both? Has it damaged the axle or is the wheel OK?

I thought I was being a bit anal when I was removing and greasing skewers annually, but now I'm not so sure.

I placed it on the Workmate as described above. Went at it with a hammer, gradually increasing the blow. It started to move but was stiff all the way. I noticed the skewer was bent so hammered it as far as it would go (flush) and then cut off the other end removing the bend. I then drifted it through using a screwdriver about the same thickness as the skewer. It popped out the other end. This was late last night, I need to inspect it closely to see if I can see any damage. The new skewer didn't go through that smoothly but it went through. The bearings seem OK.

I'm a tad confused as to what really caused it to be honest.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    When mine was seized previously I couldn't really understand why or how when I got it out. The skewer didn't seem to fit that snugly into the wheel, which made it seem weird that it had seized.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is why god gave us the materials to make stainless steel skewers!

Halo skewers (bolt through) on my commuter are now 9 years old, still almost as new.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.