Hope pro 4 rear hub freewheel 10 spd cassette

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, im going to fit a 10 spd SLX cassette onto a new Hope pro 4 wheel. Im not sure if it req a spacer to fit correctly? I checked with the seller and the freehub comes with a spacer, they weren't sure either. Anyone know the correct answer? Thanks
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    A quick Google confims that no shimano mtb cassette needs a spacer, I had 10 speed cassette that I replaced by 9 speed, no spacers were involved.

Different story for road cassettes.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited April 2018
    Yes. The spacer is required if you want to fit a 10-speed (or 11-speed) MTB cassette.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^^^ handbags at 10 paces!!

I certainly don't recall a spacer so I don't know now.
  • JBA
    The black spacer supplied with the free hub is needed for 10- or 11-speed MTB cassettes.
    It is not need if fitting an 11-speed road cassette.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • kirkee
    Thanks, I googled other info somewhere that said spacer is required for SLX and XT cassettes but not for Deore! I may contact Hope, the wheel should come with user guide information?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I'm using Hope pro2 Evo hubs and have run 9 10 and 11sp XT cassettes and never had space for a spacer,if your are to fit a 10sp road cassette you would need a spacer,but this would not index with a mtb shfter 'different cog spaces',I think the reason these are supplied is some people build CX wheels with Hope hubs,an 11sp road cassette won't fit as they are slightly wide as i found out a few years ago when i changed road bikes,and tried using an Ultegra 9/10sp hub
  • kirkee
    I'll try without spacer then. Cheers
  • JBA
    Hmm? A variety of answers.
    All I know is that I have had to use a spacer for both 10- and 11-speed Shimano cassettes on my Hope Pro4 rear hub.

You'll soon know if you need it if the cassette is still loose after you have tightened up the lock ring.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm using Hope pro2 Evo hubs and have run 9 10 and 11sp XT cassettes and never had space for a spacer,if your are to fit a 10sp road cassette you would need a spacer,
    Clearly hogwash (for the same freehub) as a 10 speed road cassette is the same width as 10 and 11 speed MTB, 10 road and MTB cassettes are totally interchangeable.

It probably depends which freehub is used as Hope do an 10 (inc MTB 11) AND an road 11speed freehub, they produced this for Pro2 and its probably still true for Pro4.
    http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/
    Road groups however aren’t quite as simple. Here we’ll try to set out your options with our range of hubs and wheels:

All Mono RS hubs and wheels using these hubs are fitted with 11 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. 10 speed Shimano and Sram can be fitted using the supplied spacer.
    All Mono Pro 3 and earlier hubs and wheels using these hubs are not compatible with 11 speed Shimano and the 11 speed cassette body cannot be fitted.
    All Pro 2 EVO 40t hubs fitted to 700c wheels are fitted with 11 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. 10 speed Shimano and Sram can be fitted using the supplied spacer.
    All Pro 2 EVO 40t hubs and mountain bike wheels using these hubs are fitted with standard 10 speed cassette compatible bodies, but an 11 speed body can be installed without issues.
    All pre Pro 2 EVO 40t mtb hubs and wheels fitted with these hubs are not compatible with 11 speed cassette bodies.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'm using Hope pro2 Evo hubs and have run 9 10 and 11sp XT cassettes and never had space for a spacer,if your are to fit a 10sp road cassette you would need a spacer,
    Clearly hogwash (for the same freehub) as a 10 speed road cassette is the same width as 10 and 11 speed MTB, 10 road and MTB cassettes are totally interchangeable.

It probably depends which freehub is used as Hope do an 10 (inc MTB 11) AND an road 11speed freehub, they produced this for Pro2 and its probably still true for Pro4.
    http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/
    Road groups however aren’t quite as simple. Here we’ll try to set out your options with our range of hubs and wheels:

All Mono RS hubs and wheels using these hubs are fitted with 11 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. 10 speed Shimano and Sram can be fitted using the supplied spacer.
    All Mono Pro 3 and earlier hubs and wheels using these hubs are not compatible with 11 speed Shimano and the 11 speed cassette body cannot be fitted.
    All Pro 2 EVO 40t hubs fitted to 700c wheels are fitted with 11 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. 10 speed Shimano and Sram can be fitted using the supplied spacer.
    All Pro 2 EVO 40t hubs and mountain bike wheels using these hubs are fitted with standard 10 speed cassette compatible bodies, but an 11 speed body can be installed without issues.
    All pre Pro 2 EVO 40t mtb hubs and wheels fitted with these hubs are not compatible with 11 speed cassette bodies.

Shimano's 9 10 and 11sp road cassettes are 3 different widths 10sp being the narrowest hence the need for a spacer,basically i had a set of ultegra 6700 wheels on an old Trek ran 9sp on them no spacer,I then bought a Focus Cayo Evo running 10sp,I kept the ultegra wheels but needed to use a spacer as the cassette was to narrow for the hub body,A couple of years ago i got a used Cervelo R3 running 11sp,i could not use the 6700 ultegra wheels as the freehub was not wide enough to take an 11sp cassette

bloody frustrating especially between 9-10sp,but understandable on 11sp

Shimano mtb cassettes all have the same width 9/10/11sp on the freehub body
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Shimano's 9 10 and 11sp road cassettes are 3 different widths 10sp being the narrowest
    NO, 9 and 10 are the same width (near enough) and fit the same freehub.
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html
    In fact 10 is wider than 9 by 0.7mm (but overhangs the frehub slightly to make fitted width the same). The only exception is the very first Dura-ace and then Ultegra 10 speed, but good luck finding any of them around now, and they have a taller spline on the freehub so won't take a non-compatible cassette anyway.

Time to put the shovel down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirkee
    for information, Ive just unpacked the new wheel. In a small bag with the rim tape there is a spacer. On the pack it reads- use this spacer when fitting a 9/10 speed cassette, or XT-M8000/XTR-M9000 (11 speed) cassette.