Dog walked, I just need to finish off some gardening,then go out for a ride
    Enjoy your week
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Meh, ready to leave the hotel and back to normal life
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Woken up by the birds at some ridiculous hour must be something to do with the fog. I think it’s back to bed for another coffee and a bit more reading. Might do something later.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Cold and patchy fog here, nice bike ride in it and everyone else seems to have stopped in bed so deathly quiet on the roads. Starting to get nice and clear, although forecast is less good after work.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, caught the hound eating potato wedges off the kitchen counter at 3am this morning. He's currently farting in the corner of my office. Foggy here, nothing important going on
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks, moist here again this morning. Had to drive in this morning to take some stuff in with me, being half asleep I forgot to bring my change of clothes in case I ride in tomorrow. My attempt to be organised and eliminate the backpack has failed at the first attempt. Not much else going on today, just the usual customer avoidance. Need to kick the tea wallah, he's been here over 20 minutes and not made me a drink yet. I think that's a new record. Turned the coffee machine on so it's warming nicely in the corner. Onwards and upwards...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    HaydenM wrote:
    He's currently farting in the corner of my office. Foggy here
    Related?
    Veronese68 wrote:
    being half asleep I forgot to bring my change of clothes in case I ride in tomorrow. My attempt to be organised and eliminate the backpack has failed at the first attempt.
    Shopping at lunchtime?
    At least you realised before you needed them. Lucky for me Tesco is open by the time I arrive for work and has a clothing department. Can't sit in sweaty clothes until M&S opens.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    HaydenM wrote:
    Related?

Definitely, I'm going to need a gas mask at this rate. Horrible little animal.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Soggyish. Back in the office = what a load of old balls.

Sticky piston on my rear brake. My solution was to jam the pistons back into the housing and not use the brake. How does one fix a sticky piston? Or do I need a new bike?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Related?

Definitely, I'm going to need a gas mask at this rate. Horrible little animal.
    You are what you eat?

Working at home today as we've got someone coming round to sort the alarm. Seems strangely quiet on the email front, not sure whether to be suspicious or not.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    still chucking it down here, view from gmc towers is murky in all directions, must be getting swampy down in hyde park, rethinking lunch plans

on the plus side, email has been quiet so far, hope things stay that way
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Gardening finished, a quick cuppa then a ride around the country side, quite nice at the moment
  • veronese68
    hopkinb wrote:
    Sticky piston on my rear brake. My solution was to jam the pistons back into the housing and not use the brake. How does one fix a sticky piston? Or do I need a new bike?
    You need a new bike.
    Alternatively, cotton buds, IPA (both kinds) and a delicate touch. Take the wheel and pads off, hold the non-sticky piston in and squeeze brake lever gently to push sticky one out a little, clean around the piston with isopropyl alcohol type IPA to remove any cack. Once clean push it back in carefully and all should be well. If not you need a new bike. If you pull the brake too far and push the piston out you need a new bike. Alternatively bring it round and give me some IPA of the India Pale Ale type. If I screw it up I will deny all responsibility and you will need a new bike.
    Obviously when you get to the point of needing a new bike you need to give me the old one.
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    You need a new bike.
    Alternatively, cotton buds, IPA (both kinds) and a delicate touch. Take the wheel and pads off, hold the non-sticky piston in and squeeze brake lever gently to push sticky one out a little, clean around the piston with isopropyl alcohol type IPA to remove any cack. Once clean push it back in carefully and all should be well. If not you need a new bike. If you pull the brake too far and push the piston out you need a new bike. Alternatively bring it round and give me some IPA of the India Pale Ale type. If I screw it up I will deny all responsibility and you will need a new bike.
    Obviously when you get to the point of needing a new bike you need to give me the old one.

Cheers V, I just need to buy the non-drinkable kind of IPA now, then screw it up, and give you the old bike to dispose of safely.

I wonder if Robert Dyas sell isopropyl alcohol. Alternatively, I do have some "disc brake cleaner" in an aerosol can if Dyas don't have the IPA, I bet that would do a job tonight.
  • sungod
    thought i'd stock up on sun spray, not oil or glop, oh ffs, now decent spf 8 is no longer available, minimum seems to be 10

first the 4 went, then the 6, now the 8, it's health and safety nanny state fascist control freakery gone mad

10? ten? TEN? i'll fade away or develop acute vitamin d deficiency, only solution is more holidays
  • sungod
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...I wonder if Robert Dyas sell isopropyl alcohol. Alternatively, I do have some "disc brake cleaner" in an aerosol can if Dyas don't have the IPA, I bet that would do a job tonight.

'rubbing alcohol' from chemists is generally ipa, but you need to get a pure one, not scented or otherwise tainted

disk brake cleaner probably would be ok, or acetone if there're no plastics

ipa also labelled isopropanol is often sold at insane markup for teeny amounts, get it online, 99.9% pure should be well under a tenner for a litre
  • veronese68
    sungod wrote:
    disk brake cleaner probably would be ok
    So long as it's for bicycles and not car stuff. If you pop by mine I can stick some in a pot for you as I bought a litre and it will out last me.
  • hopkinb
    sungod wrote:
    thought i'd stock up on sun spray, not oil or glop, oh ffs, now decent spf 8 is no longer available, minimum seems to be 10

first the 4 went, then the 6, now the 8, it's health and safety nanny state fascist control freakery gone mad

10? ten? TEN? i'll fade away or develop acute vitamin d deficiency, only solution is more holidays

Mrs H3 anoints herself with Australian Gold "tan accelerator". https://www.justmylook.co.uk/australian-gold-dark-tanning-accelerator-lotion-250ml-p5715

Refreshingly free of spf.

Me? I wear a t-shirt and sit under an umbrella. My skin is a bit British. When I was in Corfu, someone actually took a picture of my upper body, so pronounced was the difference between my cyclist's/builder's tanned arms and milky white torso. :lol:
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    disk brake cleaner probably would be ok
    So long as it's for bicycles and not car stuff. If you pop by mine I can stick some in a pot for you as I bought a litre and it will out last me.
    It's definitely bike stuff. I'll give that a go tonight, and if no joy, I'll pop round yours later in the week.

Cheer SG & V, as always, a wealth of info. :D
  • veronese68
    hopkinb wrote:
    Me? I wear a t-shirt and sit under an umbrella. My skin is a bit British. When I was in Corfu, someone actually took a picture of my upper body, so pronounced was the difference between my cyclist's/builder's tanned arms and milky white torso. :lol:
    When the lad finished working on the farm in NZ and started travelling people thought he was wearing a white t-shirt when he wasn't, it rapidly became a red t-shirt apparently.
    What happened to people just using baby oil or coconut oil?
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What happened to people just using baby oil or coconut oil?
    I hear they're working for Global Mega Corp these days :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    not keen on oil, too sticky

rain stopped long enough for a non-soggy ride home, still a very gloomy sky
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Building works are coming along a treat, kitchen is half finished, TV and Sound bar are up, but no sink so resorting to washing up in the bath.

Run tonight, fit a 90 degree optical bend and an early night I think.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:

Mrs H3 anoints herself with Australian Gold "tan accelerator". https://www.justmylook.co.uk/australian-gold-dark-tanning-accelerator-lotion-250ml-p5715
    Is that the stuff that makes women look like Oompa-Loompas?
  • hopkinb
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

:D

She's about the same height as an oompa loompa, but no, she goes deep dark brown in the sun, something to do with being half Burmese.
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Does the Dotard use that then?
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I guess Bally will be along shortly to answer that :P
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

:lol:

I can get sun burnt watching the weather forecast on the telly.

Stevo makes do with woad, trying to convince everyone he is a true blue and not a plastic. :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

:lol:

I can get sun burnt watching the weather forecast on the telly.

Stevo makes do with woad, trying to convince everyone he is a true blue and not a plastic. :wink:
    Being part Scottish, my natural skin colour is pale blue. Takes me a week on hols to turn white :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

:D

She's about the same height as an oompa loompa, but no, she goes deep dark brown in the sun, something to do with being half Burmese.

Exotic... Hmmm...

@optical bend'?

Fog cleared then the cloud cleared and then it was wall to wall sunshine. Tomorrow cycling is planned so I bet you it will pour.
    Today did mowstly conservatory revamping. Took the old roof off. Belt sanded the rough beams. Pressure washed where access is now available to paint the walls whereas with the roof on...

It's full steam ahead. I'm fooked.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!