Rider helmets

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
edited April 2018 in Pro race
Back in the day, before helmets were worn, it was much easier to identify a rider. I think riders should be able to wear personalised helmets rather than team helmets. It would make identification easier and might provide a sponsorship upside for riders (perhaps at the expense of the team though).

I'm sure the kit purists will disagree though.

Comments

• I’m amazed this hasn’t happened really. They could wear the model specified by their sponsor, complete with appropriate logo, but then be free to have colours/designs of their own.

It’s worked in motorsport for years, so why not?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Agree entirely, at least for the big name riders. Did we see it with one of the Olympic RR winners?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Back in the day, before helmets were worn, it was much easier to identify a rider. I think riders should be able to wear personalised helmets rather than team helmets. It would make identification easier and might provide a sponsorship upside for riders (perhaps at the expense of the team though).

I'm sure the kit purists will disagree though.
    Luca Paolini had several personalised helmets over the years. Practically though, I think it makes it easier for a team to spot each other with the same helmet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    It's a good idea but in the tour the leading team has to wear yellow, same for leader on GC.. Juraj Sagan does need a Slovak champions helmet though ..
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    I've said it fora few years now about helmets. For me the simple solution is that all riders ending in 1 have a green helmet, 2 a blue one, 3 a red etc. Make identification for all much easier.
  • Riders keeping the same number for the entire season would help too.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    edited April 2018
    I’m amazed this hasn’t happened really. They could wear the model specified by their sponsor, complete with appropriate logo, but then be free to have colours/designs of their own.

It’s worked in motorsport for years, so why not?

I'm also amazed it hasn't happened, but then, I realise its road cycling, and I'm not surprised. For example, both PF-P and Van Aert are sponsored by RedBull and wear their helmet during CX, MTB races; then when on the road revert to 'plain team helmet'.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Riders keeping the same number for the entire season would help too.
    That would let teams sell cycling jerseys like football jerseys. Would make solid money. So too logical for cycling. GTFO! :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Number on the helmet would be good also.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    picture of the rider printed on the top of the helmet :mrgreen:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    tim000 wrote:
    picture of the rider printed on the top of the helmet :mrgreen:
    That's what Paolini had. I wonder what made his nose so red. :wink:

luca_paolini_-roadbikeaction.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I suppose it's harder to do something interesting on a vented helmet. Aero helmets have a bit more of a canvas to play with though
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    RichN95 wrote:
    Practically though, I think it makes it easier for a team to spot each other with the same helmet.

Well, we could combine it with another radical idea which is that team riders actually where the team jersey.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Armstrong had various custom Giros - it's an idea that hasnt caught on yet some riders have custom saddles where you don't see the artwork