Which bike should I buy?

KyleDuffy
KyleDuffy Posts: 10
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
I’ve got a budget of 1000€ and was looking to buy a mountain bike , I took a trip to my local bike shop and had a look at a Giant Talon 1 ,2 and 3 the 2018 models he also showed me a Devron D5.9 and reccomneded it over the Giant bikes as he said they’re a higher spec bike , in generally new to mountain biking and would like some advice on which one to choose

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Never heard of the Devron, look at theVooDoo Bizango, Calibre Line Ten, Calibre Boss Nut or Jamis Dakar. These are all sub £1k bikes with 10/10 reviews.

Spec isn’t everything, geometry plays a major part in how a bike rides.

Will also help if you say what type of riding you will be doing.
  • KyleDuffy
    JGTR wrote:
    Never heard of the Devron, look at theVooDoo Bizango, Calibre Line Ten, Calibre Boss Nut or Jamis Dakar. These are all sub £1k bikes with 10/10 reviews.

I’m limited to which bikes are available in the shop , they would only specialize in Giant pretty much so I’m limited in that aspect I’d be doing off road biking and every day biking
  • KyleDuffy
    JGTR wrote:

https://www.cyclecentre.com/index.php/p ... erga-d5-9/

Theres a link to the bike so you can see the specs and whatnot , I’m a complete newbie so any advice will help
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    When you say off-road biking what do you mean?
    Will you be riding flat-ish forest tracks and fire roads or are thinking of more technical, steeper stuff?

I have never heard of Devron, but the spec doesn't look great for the money. If you are limited to those 2 brands I would go for the Giant.
    However, Halfords have shops in Eire so if I was you I'd go and have a look at the Voodoo and Boardman offerings as you will get much better value for money.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • KyleDuffy
    JBA wrote:
    When you say off-road biking what do you mean?
    Will you be riding flat-ish forest tracks and fire roads or are thinking of more technical, steeper stuff?

I have never heard of Devron, but the spec doesn't look great for the money. If you are limited to those 2 brands I would go for the Giant.
    However, Halfords have shops in Eire so if I was you I'd go and have a look at the Voodoo and Boardman offerings as you will get much better value for money.

I’ll pop into halfords and have a look at them tomorrow , although I came across a brand Orbea , the MX MAX model seems to be a great spec bike for the price comes with SLX rather than the SRAMS highly thinking of purchasing one I’ve heard great reviews, and as of what I’ll be doing on it mostly flat mountain biking with some downhill so a bit of both really ... here’s a link to the Orbea bike I was looking at https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/mx-29-max-18/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Talon has the better forks, brakes are the similar and the gear shifting is down a level but it has the better cranks, for me the Talon is the better bike due to those forks.

There is no geometry data for the Orbea so hard to compare the two in that respect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • KyleDuffy
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Talon has the better forks, brakes are the similar and the gear shifting is down a level but it has the better cranks, for me the Talon is the better bike due to those forks.

There is no geometry data for the Orbea so hard to compare the two in that respect.

Thanks , I’ve heard a good few reviews on the Orbea although I’ll most likely buy the Talon if that’s what you guys think , which one would you buy? If it was you
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    If it were just those 2 bikes I’d go for the giant. It has better forks and more up to date geometry (68 degree headangle vs the 70 degree on the Orbea). The reach on the Orbea is also very short -‘it’s quite old school xc geometry I think. The Giant will be a better all rounder.

There are better bikes out there for the money though if you can use different shops. The Voodoo bizango and the Calibre line10 are both likely better for the same or less money. Have you got a Halfords / cycle Republic / go outdoors near you?