Hanger alignment

roygillett
roygillett Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Is it normal to have to slightly bend a brand new mech hanger as soon as it's installed?

Whenever I've replaced mine it's needed quite a lot of tweaking with the alignment tool to get it to hang straight.
Is it a problem with the dropout? Is that something I can get fixed? (Anonymous Chinese carbon frame--presumably with steel inserts for the dropouts)
Is it worth doing?
Thing is, once I have aligned the hanger it all seems to work and shift reasonably well. But I just have a nagging feeling that a hanger that's been leaned on like that might be a bit weaker than one that hasn't.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited April 2018
    I always check the hanger on any new bike or if I fit a new hanger. It's rare that it's spot on......

Assuming you are gently bending it into the correct alignment you won't do any damage.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you always have to bend it in the same direction? That would suggest it's an issue with the frame.

Wouldn't suggest trying to bend the dropout itself, but you may be able to improve the fit of the hanger by adding a small amount of epoxy filler in the right place.

But if you're only having to bend the hangers a tiny bit I'd not bother personally
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    check the frame and drop out alignment and go from there