Bike not fit for purpose?

andork123
andork123 Posts: 6
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Hey,

So I bought a new adventure bike 3 or so weeks ago which cost just over 1k, so nothing crazy. It's my first bike in years so wasn't sure how much I would get into it...turns out a lot and wish id spent more!

However when it arrived the rear hydraulic disc break didn't work (SRAM Apex) so I got to bled and seemed 'OK' for a while.
less than 100 miles later it was back to being pretty much useless, I can spin the wheel with it on full lock so it appears it needs bleeding yet again, along with this the Break lever it's self is loose and rattley which my LBS couldn't work out.

to top all this off, I now have creaking coming from the BB area, i've checked skewers and peddles with no luck, I'm sure this is an easy fix but not what I expected on a bike over 1k so early on.

The company has requested me to take the break set off and post it them for them to look at, which means me being without a bike and having to rebuild it after.

Where do I stand on this, should I just request a full refund and take my money elsewhere, or do as they asked and hope they offer me an upgrade of some sort?

I could take the whole bike to them but that would mean a 8 hour round trip at my expense and time.

Cheers!

Comments

• andork123 wrote:

I could take the whole bike to them but that would mean a 8 hour round trip at my expense and time.

Cheers!

Or take it to a local LBS and get them to fix it, at your expense.

Doesn't sound like it needs too much fettling.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • andork123 wrote:

Cheers!

Or take it to a local LBS and get them to fix it, at your expense.

Doesn't sound like it needs too much fettling.

I agree, I did this the first time when it was broken out the box which didn't work. So they have requested I send it back for them to look at.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    The creak may be an easy fix, but finding it may not be so easy as they can be difficult to track down.
    Regarding the brake and sending it or the bike back it's hard to say what the right thing to do. If the LBS tried to fix it and failed it could be that it's a warranty issue with the brake and it, or part of it, needs to be replaced. For that it will have to go back. If the place is that far away I suspect you have bought it online to get a better deal or because you couldn't buy the bike you wanted locally. Unfortunately whilst this is great for getting a bargain if anything goes wrong it's more hassle to get it rectified. That's the price you pay for getting a bargain.
    I don't think you can say the bike is not fit for purpose, they should at least be given a chance to rectify it first.
    Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, good luck with it whatever you do.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, good luck with it whatever you do.

Not at all! that's the kind of advice I wanted, I'm new to biking to wasn't sure where I stand really. All I know is I'm rather gutted that my new steed has been nothing but hassle, from a company I have previously LOVED! for other products, this also means i'm going to have to get the dreaded tube for a week or 2 for my commute!

As for buying online, it's an odd one, they have 2 stores in the midlands where I'm originally from, so have tried the bike in store but ordered it online to get it down to London.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    andork123 wrote:
    As for buying online, it's an odd one, they have 2 stores in the midlands where I'm originally from, so have tried the bike in store but ordered it online to get it down to London.
    I completely get the buying online thing, do it myself for lots of stuff and it's usually ok. Sorry about the tube, now you know why you need 2 bikes :wink:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    why not post the whole thing back to the shop you bought it from. Its their problem don't make it yours
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I know this probably isn't useful at all but in the mtb world Sram hydraulic brakes have a much poorer reputation than shimano for this sort of thing. Obviously a lot of that is talk and bias but the only Sram (avid) brakes I have had had lots of issues with bleeding, I've had lots of sets of Shimano brakes and they have been fine, even the very cheap shimano discs on the GF's hardtail haven't missed a beat in 2 or 3 years