new 29'' wheelset

aksot1
aksot1 Posts: 15
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i am thinking to replace my 29'' wheelset so i could install wider tires.
For my kind of riding i ended up to these two which both are for max 120kg and ASTM CATEGORY 3.
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/whe ... spline-25/
https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/xa-elite- ... #1028=3283
which would you suggest ?

Thanks.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Looking at the spec of those wheels I don't know how they have arrived at the weight limit. It will depend on what service life they think acceptable and what failure rate within that service life is o.k

If i was 120kg I would not be using those wheels. Also rims with 25mm inner with are for 2.0 to 2.2" tyres for me. Do something wider I use 30mm internal width rims.

Look at the velocity blunt 35mm or the kinlin tl29 for something that can handle a 120kg rider us is wide. Don't let the weight put you off as it is the tyre choice that makes a bigger difference.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • aksot1
    aksot1 Posts: 15
    Looking at the spec of those wheels I don't know how they have arrived at the weight limit. It will depend on what service life they think acceptable and what failure rate within that service life is o.k

If i was 120kg I would not be using those wheels. Also rims with 25mm inner with are for 2.0 to 2.2" tyres for me. Do something wider I use 30mm internal width rims.

Look at the velocity blunt 35mm or the kinlin tl29 for something that can handle a 120kg rider us is wide. Don't let the weight put you off as it is the tyre choice that makes a bigger difference.

thanks, just saying that 120kg referred as suggested max and includes bike+rider+equipment, also i intend to use 2.35/2.4 tyres.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of those two, the DT Swiss, better freehub, a fair bit lighter as well.

Not sure about the above, my XC bike was using 2.25” tyres on 17mm internal rims just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    The Rookie wrote:
    my XC bike was using 2.25” tyres on 17mm internal rims just fine.
    You wouldn't mind elaborating on your rims, would you? I'm looking at MTB's at the minute and was wondering if I could use my 29" Archetype wheels with 2.2 tyres without dying
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They were Stans Alpine rims.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    muchas gracias
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    25mm internal rims you can easily use 2.4/2.5 width tyres on those wider the better it seems as the tyre then has a better profile and less liking to burp off if running tubeless.

my mavic wheels are only 21mm and using 2.3 maxxis tyres happily on those.

Plenty of options about, what about some hope tech enduro wheels they will be strong enough.

Also look at superstar component offerings as well.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I bought some Superstar 29” wheels, Electro hubs, brass nipples, Trace Trail 29mm rims.....worked well with 2.3 tyre. £220 IIRC, but that was in a sale.
  • cycleclinic
    I have had 2.3 inch tyres on narrow rims but I would not do that now. Wider rims make for better wheels and you can use lower pressures without the tyre squirming as much.

So while you can use a 2.5 inch tyres with a 25mm internal width rim, the bike would handle better is you used a wider one.
  • cycleclinic
    What I learnt through trail and error tyres seem to perform best when the actual width is no more than approx twice the internal width. So for me a 25mm internally wide rim is something I put a 50mm to 55mm tyre on at the most. I do have narrow rims still one has a 2.1 inch tyre on a 20mm internal width rim and the wheels flex a bit and feel a bit rubbish.

When I got my first proper MTB it had 17mm internal width rims but back then we did not know any better.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    To jump in to the thread, I'm considering a Hope pro Enduro rear wheel. I ended up buying a replacement rear budget model, cost £120, a mistake as the freehub completely blew after less than 100km. Surprised how crap it was tbh, but should i have been surprised? Is the baseline wheel replacement outlay 2 to 4 hundred quid minimum to get reliability?!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will