RSP Plummet Cold Weather issues?

alex100a
alex100a Posts: 84
edited April 2018 in MTB general
Hi,

I recently purchased my first dropper post, an RSP Plummet (on a budget!), which I was initially very pleased with however on only its 2nd outing it played up.

Basically half way around W2 @ Afan the post would intermittently not 'lock out' and would drop under my weight when climbing. This was 2 weeks ago and the temperature did not really get above 0 degrees all day.

At the time I was not very impressed, to say the least, and I fully intended to take it straight back to the shop however since i've been back its been working fine so I'm wondering whether it was temperature related.

Any one had any similar issues?

Comments

• Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    For what it's worth, mine hasn't failed to lock, even in cold weather like that.
    Mine is actually the opposite - when pressing the lever it can take a bit of effort to get it to move (down). Once it starts moving it's fine (for a while then needs some persuading again). It's vaguely on my list of things to look at servicing at some point.
  • alex100a
    alex100a Posts: 84
    Thanks for your reply Uber_Pod.

Funny thing is that I was just out in the garage, before reading your post, doing a few bits on the bike and when I tested the dropper by hand it would not shift! Eventually got it to move with a bit more weight and with a little oil under the threaded post cover its moving fairly freely again now.

Has the black coating worn off your inner post yet? 3 rides and mine has a number of bare metal patches.

All seems a little temperamental and I'm thinking of taking it back as I know its only going to mess around again when i'm miles from nowhere.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    I'll look for that threaded post cover and see if that helps mine.

I've had it for months now and as far as I can remember, the inner post black coating is fine.
    I've have a proper look at it over the weekend and take some photos.