Going tubeless

madbutch75
madbutch75 Posts: 22
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Want to go tubeless with my new + tyres. What's the most cheapest/effective method. Wheels and time are timeless ready. Cheers

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Have a look here , just about everything you need to know
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13015799
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of a roady link...

Pick a kit suitable to your wheels/riding - easiest way. Stans is probably the best known.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tube ... c98cc30f37

Or Google ghetto tubeless, but you probably won't save too much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    What I did:

Gorilla tape
    Stan’s valves and sealant
    Soapy water
    Track pump

Front wheel popped on lovely, done in 10 minutes.
    Rear wheel needed a lot of swearing and a boatload of soapy water to seat the beads, but went eventually.

Best thing I ever did. I did it 11 months ago and have not had a tyre-related issue since, riding over the same territory I used to suffer several punctures a year, sometimes several in one ride.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Josh377
    Josh377 Posts: 8
    Gorila tape the rim

Use a valve cut out an old inner tube

stans fluid

fit tyre with fluid in side, spin the wheel

don't sit the tyre on the floor, hover it like fitted to the bike sat upside down and pump like your life depends on it. If you got a mate get them to manoeuvre the tyre on to the rim while you pump.

Been doing it the last five years, no bother!
  • Thanks for the info. I'll give it go.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    a value core remover is also worth getting, its easier to seat a tyre on a wheel with a track pump if you remove the valve core.

That's my experience with a pair of maxis tyres went straight on no problems.

Anyone use uberbike tyre matrix sealant?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Tubeless is a fantastic idea on a MTB. You can drop the pressures in your tyres right down, and get no pinch flats, and you get the advantage of less weight / inertia, which I find far more noticeable on a MTB. Choose your sealant carefully, they are definitely not all equal. There’s a new ( ish ) sealant on the market, that uses Kevlar to seal any holes you create.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do ... lsrc=aw.ds

I’ve not used it yet, but it’s got good reviews.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes but i dont actually reduce tyre pressures that much for me running about 28-30psi as i'm not lightweight. I hate any lower pressure as it feels like the tyre is going to come off the rim.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It depends on the tyre and rim internal width. I have some conti race kings race sport 29x2.2" on 25mminternal width rims that I can ride without the tyres squirming at 20 psi. I am 85kg.

Other tyres though feel better at higher pressures.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.