Confused with my Conti Trail Kings

cpper
cpper Posts: 42
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Some months ago I bought a 2.4″ and a 2.2″ Trail King for my hardtail. Recently I had to replace a spoke on the rear wheel(2.2″ tire) and noticed something strange:
the front<—>rear marking vs thread pattern is inversed on one tire.

Pics:
O2i1I5f.jpg

gKBI3rA.jpg

The position of the tires is the same in the first and second pic. Which one is “right” ? I’d say the front tire.

Comments

• Josh377
    Josh377 Posts: 8
    The way I go with it is the graphics on the side wall goes on the drive side of the bike. Is that any help?
  • cpper
    Hmm, I think if the front<-->rear label is on the drive side, your's should also point wrong. Could you take a look on the marking ?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I've ran tyres in opposite direction, namely rear is for grip going forwardds, front grip for braking. And other times not, I am not elite professional mtb racer so can't say I have noticed any difference but in my mind it is optimum fitting.

Change tyre as per arrow and report back if you notice any difference.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They put the arrows on for a reason, as 02GF74 said.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cpper
    02GF74 wrote:
    Change tyre as per arrow and report back if you notice any difference.

I already did, can't tell I felt a difference.
    cooldad wrote:
    They put the arrows on for a reason, as 02GF74 said.
    Indeed, but the arrows are inversed on one tire.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inversed? Or reversed?

I would suggest Continental know what they are doing......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I inversed into a pole a few days ago.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cpper
    The Rookie wrote:
    Inversed? Or reversed?

Inversed: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/inversed

I think you guys still don't understand the issue... Look again at the pics. The front<-->rear marks are oriented the same way, then, in the second pic, the tread patterns don't mach up. Tires are in the same position in both pics. See the issue ?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Are those direction indicators on both sides of the tyres or only one side?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cpper wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Inversed? Or reversed?

Inversed: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/inversed

I think you guys still don't understand the issue... Look again at the pics. The front<-->rear marks are oriented the same way, then, in the second pic, the tread patterns don't mach up. Tires are in the same position in both pics. See the issue ?
    So you meant reversed.......

Yes I had spotted that, but I think Conti know what way their tyres work best and the extra width may change the optimum direction.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You have been riding with the tyres like that for a few months and haven't died yet, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The tread patterns look right. The 2.4 on the front will dig in on braking and the 2.2 on the rear will dig in for climbing.

Maybe Continental have designated the 2.4 as a front tyre and the 2.2 as a rear tyre?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009