Any Australian cricket fans here?

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
edited April 2018 in The cake stop
WTF is going on, Cheating, saying it's no big deal and then crying on TV. Jeez,

Chopper is spinning in his grave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc NWS :D
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    They weren't cheating. It was an 'error of judgement'. ...... which translates as 'we thought we could get away with cheating in front of thousands of spectators, over 30 TV cameras and millions of TV viewers. But got caught'. 'Therefore it was an error of judgement'.

What I think is disingenuous about Smith and Lehmann are the crocodile tears in order to gain sympathy, which was already evident as Smith exited the press conference.
    I just hope they are remembered as the cheating bar stewards that they are.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Aussie cricketers being naughty boys isn't really new. Even the Aussies sing about it (also NSFW):
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh19zw
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I heard the crying bit. I wondered whether I was listening to a heavily edited recording because I was sure he was sobbing his head off then sounded normal then crying his big Aussie, girlie head off again.

Sorry state of affairs. I just wish he'd been a man about it and just admit he had a big role in cheating he did it, he's sorry he got caught and he'd do it again but better so he didn't get caught next time. It ain't cricket? My big, fat, skinny @rse! Cheating will probably be right through the top flight, or at least taking the laws off the game right to the edge. Cricket isn't the sport for ppl who believe in fair play and sportsmanship. I think the end of that era came with the bodyline series. I think it's got worse with the Warne years. Kind of anything goes off you don't get pinged for it. Sledging for example is about putting someone off their game through insults, throwing jelly beans at them, etc. It became OK to move from just trying to play better than your opponent to doing that plus putting your opponent under psychological pressure so they don't play to their best.

Fortunately I don't really care anymore. I lost interest in cricket years ago. Probably when Aussie sledging came to prominence by coincidence.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Sledging? Aw diddums. Did nasty man say sumfin nasty to oo? What a lot of boxxox. 'kin cricketer pansies, grow a pair.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Although I have zero sympathy for Bancroft and a good deal less for Smith and Lehman (especially after the pathetic crocodile tears!) I’m enjoying the schadenfreude surrounding the monumentally unpleasant Warner and his equally unpleasant wife

I’m hoping that at his soon to be press conference the British press are there in force and rip him a new arsehole!!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I work with a lot of Australians - it's been like someone died this week. They've all been very quiet, moping around, not their usual, cheery, p!ss-taking selves..Unless you know Aussies it's difficult to explain how seriously they take their sport, and how much of their self-esteem is tied to sporting success.

Obviously, I've been having a great week. :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Its always good to take the p1ss out of the Aussies in the office after they've lost at something.

For example

aussie_wine.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    pottssteve wrote:
    I work with a lot of Australians - it's been like someone died this week. They've all been very quiet, moping around, not their usual, cheery, p!ss-taking selves..Unless you know Aussies it's difficult to explain how seriously they take their sport, and how much of their self-esteem is tied to sporting success.

Obviously, I've been having a great week. :D

Watching the coverage you'd think several people had died as a result of a bit of ball tampering.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Don' really care about the cricket but listening to a grown man crying like a little girl to get a bit of sympathy after getting caught cheating was a bit nauseating.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Don' really care about the cricket but listening to a grown man crying like a little girl to get a bit of sympathy after getting caught cheating was a bit nauseating.

A bit?????
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    crispybug2 wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

A bit?????

OK, plucking shedloads, I was trying to be kind to the poor cheating Aussie tosspot.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    It made the cheating git look even more pathetic.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    orraloon wrote:
    Sledging? Aw diddums. Did nasty man say sumfin nasty to oo? What a lot of boxxox. 'kin cricketer pansies, grow a pair.

I kind of agree but think the pansies are the sledgers. The rules should be changed so you can inflict violence on the prick hiding behind his mates whilst he makes endless unfunny comments about your wife/mum/sister
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    orraloon wrote:

I kind of agree but think the pansies are the sledgers. The rules should be changed so you can inflict violence on the prick hiding behind his mates whilst he makes endless unfunny comments about your wife/mum/sister
    Aren't they usually sledging a guy with a hefty piece of wood in their hands? I'm glad they don't allow violence on a cricket field. Willow makes a fine sound whacking a cricket ball for six, I'm pretty sure I'd not like to hear willow on head.

BTW I have no problem with sledging in normal life I just believe that it has no place in professional sport. It's like trying to get a competitive advantage from a means not directly related to the sport. Are your game skills not up to it without sledging?