New Tyre recommendations

woodland81
woodland81 Posts: 19
edited March 2018 in Commuting general
Its getting to the time Im looking to start cycling to work again.

Still got the tyres provided with the bike - Boardman mx comp hybrid - Schwalbe Tyrago Kevlar Guard w/ reflective sidewalls. Direct replacements look to be about £15 each
They are looking a bit worn. I mostly do road, cycletracks and lightly gravelled tracks

Can anyone recommend what i should be looking which could be potentially better.

I had been thinking about getting a road bike as I know these are much lighter than what I have(13kg) and definitely quicker for commuting. Haha I blame the bike and tyres for my speed.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you have hybrid you could be quite upright. Becoming more aero through dropping the stem and making it longer will make you faster. The down side your all round visibility is reduced. Tyres make some difference but for commuting use being puncture resistant Vis more important. Schwalbe marathon then is the tyre to pick. Conti do the top contact Vittoria the hyper voyager...
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I’ve got an MX Comp, I replaced the Tyragos with Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They have been superb.
  • yeah i am quite upright on the hybrid, switching to a road bike would be a big step, not sure how my back would cope.

I was looking at the Marathon Plus tyres earlier so many choices I thought best to ask opinions. Ideal hitting on someone with same model bike. Varying types of marathon plus tyres too
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    Very timely post,

It seems that the names below are often mentioned (have a look on this clip: BikeRadar: Upgrade Clinic - Winter Road Bike Tyres (Dec 2015):

Schwalbe Durano Plus
    Continental Grand Prix 4 Season
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    Vittoria Corsa Evo II CX

I commute on a retro road bike and I fitted these back in mid-October:

Clement Strada LGG Folding Road Tyre (Black – Tan 700 x 25C) £23.99
    $_1.JPG

I've now done approx. 860 miles since then and no puncture so far. Learning how to be more "assertive" and maintain secondary position most of the route probably helped minimising puncture as well. I checked the tyres and yes there are couple of “cuts” on both front and rear but nothing significant that has gone through. They are good but probably nowhere near as "puncture resistant" as the names above.

For my next tyre, I would not hesitate put Marathon Plus as it is tried and tested by many fellow commuters. ONE NOTE: I have not tried, so purely based on what I've read on the forum / online reviews: Marathon Plus can be a bit of a drag (due to thicker material) and feel slower. Perhaps the guys above can confirm this, ture or false??

BUT I can't - I need to have a "gumwall" tyres to stay in true retro style!!

Any suggestions on gumwall "puncture resistant" commuter tyres, anyone?
  • Thanks for the response. Been looking at my tyres front one is less worn which is ideal. Ive added some more air as im probably not riding at the optiumum pressure. Max they will take is 65psi. Ive put them at about 50ish, I dont have a digital device so its difficult to know for sure.

The marathon plus look ideal for me
  • murrencs
    murrencs Posts: 17
    Hi Guys,

I have a Boardman mx sport, still with original tyres. Soon I have to buy new ones. What is the ideal size? At the moment they are 700*35c. I was thinking on 700*32c or even thinner. Any opinion?

Thanks.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    murrencs wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I have a Boardman mx sport, still with original tyres. Soon I have to buy new ones. What is the ideal size? At the moment they are 700*35c. I was thinking on 700*32c or even thinner. Any opinion?

Thanks.

I’ve tried my MX Comp on 35s and 37s. The 35s are better for me, and the routes I ride it on. You are limited by the internal edge to edge width of the wheels, to how thin you can go safely.