Poor shifting using shimano SLX derailleur on Norco charger 7.1 2015

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I had a problem with my my rear derailleur not shifting into easier gears once I've shifted into a harder gear.
It would struggle to get into an easier gear i.e. the chain just keeps skipping

AFAIK I then add more cable tension i.e. wind the barrel adjuster away from the handle bars. There is no adjuster on the derailleur.

Now the deraileur won't shift into harder gears. AFAIK thats because there is too much tension now.
But I can't seem to find a happy medium where it works both ways.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hard to tell what you are doing wrong, the make and model of dérailleur isn't the problem here but the nut holding the spanner.

Go to parktool.com and the help pages, read up how to adjust a dérailleur properly and do it step by step.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ageis
    but is what i have said correct?
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    ageis wrote:
    What am I doing wrong?

Has the derailleur hanger been bent out of alignment, this can affect shifting.

The bracket axle unit (b-link) on shadow derailleurs can rotate clockwise on the derailleur hanger if it's been knocked.
    If this happens, it can affect the shifting and it will need to be moved back to the correct position.

Post some photos showing how it's attached to the hanger, they might show a problem.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Sounds just like its indexing issues but could be a number of things worn gear cable, chain etc.

I'd get it on to the highest gear (smallest gear on cassette) then click up the cassette does it move up 1 gear?

Make sure it does this first and back down before tweaking cable tensions for in between gears.

on you tube there's plenty of how to videos watch a couple of them to get some pointers and you work out what is wrong but i think you've wound in the barrel adjuster on the shifter in so the cable is too tight to move it even 1 gear up or down.
  • ageis
    I just noticied the hanger moves as shown in my video.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WTD1smKSheAzpLO22

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MCQldMemMwXu5b8v2

In which position should it be i.e. striaght down or in the pushed back position?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The right location for the uppper jockey wheel clearance as set by the b-screw.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The derailleur bracket should be pushed back and the silver bolt tightened to hold it in position.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009