killi flyer axel nut

supersmoothpunk
supersmoothpunk Posts: 13
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a saracen killi flyer MTB. I`ve managed to loose the 16mm nut for the through axel. I order a new one from a bike parts website but it doesn`t fit. My LBS said they would get me one but Ive given up chasing them I`m at my wits end. Anyone know where I could purchase one?
Thanks in advance.
Andy

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What year is the bike?

Have you tried contacting Saracen direct and asking if they can provide a replacement?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I think its a 2015. The LBS is a saracen dealer and he said the rep would get one but no joy. Maybe I`ll go direct to them. Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like a stock 142x12 rear axle, not sure what 16mm nut you mean, should be M12.

What though axle?

http://gearmechhanger.com/Lock-nut-for- ... Axle-M12x1
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try Evans. Hit and miss, but they are everywhere, and if you get an actual human they can be helpful.

Saracen distributor, but I doubt they deal with the public directly, except for the bits in the 'shop'.

This review mentions an alternative Shimano compatible dropout, but guess depends on model.

https://singletrackworld.com/2016/12/re ... -carbon-x/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I ordered that nut and it was the same as the last nut I ordered. Starts to go on but the thread is wrong and it quickly jams.
  • The Rookie
    There are different threads, that link I posted shows three, which axle do you have?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oh ok.
    The axle I have is a QR12-135/142.
    Thanks
    Andy
  • The Rookie
    You need the make and model as that determines the thread, or measure it.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Or buy all 3 and send 2 back
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You need the make and model as that determines the thread, or measure it.

Kili Flyer 122
  • The Rookie
    Of the bl**dy axle......
  • Saracen
  • The Rookie
    I’m out.
  • JBA
    The axle will be made by someone else, not Saracen. Usually Rockshox/SRAM, DT Swiss or Shimano but may be rebadged.
    If the axle has a separate nut I suspect it is a Shimano jobbie like THIS.

Can you post a picture or two of your axle as that may help people identify it and recommend the correct nut.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I’m out.
    was that a mike drop?

kcgjmc.jpg
  • JBA
    I can't find anything like that on the web.
    You need to measure the thread - length and pitch - to determine what nut is required.
    You also need to make sure the nut will fit the drop out correctly.

• For anyone in the same situation who found this thread (excuse the pun) I bought a Shimano SM-AX56-B which is a complete 12mm axle and nut. This fitted and resolved the issue.
    Thanks JBA
  • JBA
    Glad you got it sorted. 8)