Sram GX gear cable tension not working. Help

af25
af25 Posts: 23
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
So I had to replace a fully functioning gear shifter cable from my 2016 Boardman Team 29er after I initially unbolted it so I could wrap a chain stay protector around the stay but open re attaching the cable the end split and I could no longer get it through all the holes.
Now I got a brand new official Sram gear cable and installed it as shown in many online tutorials. The problem I have now is that after I tightened the pinch bolt cable screw thing to the point just before it starts moving the mech towards the next biggest sprocket (yes I did have the chain on the smallest sprocket) the shifting to a larger sprocket no longer works. The lever for shifting on to a bigger sprocket is completely stiff and takes a lot of effort to make it click into the next gear and barely moves the cable when actuated hence no shift occurs. Shifting back into a smaller sprocket produces a very loud unhealthy sounding click as well. I have tried fiddling around with the single barrel adjuster on the shifter a million times but to no avail. When the cable is not attached the shifter clicks freely so it’s definitely not the shifter itself. Any help with this would be massively appreciated and if I can provide any more info or pictures to clarify the situation I’ll be more than happy to do so.
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well clearly the cable is going into tension so presumably it’s not moving for some reason which is why the tension is so high, can you move the mech by hand into the next sprocket?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • af25
    af25 Posts: 23
    Thanks for the help guys but I took it down to the local bike shop and it turns out the cable had to be routed in a very particular way before it was clamped to the bolt.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Obviously.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.