Flanders 2018!

Beatmaker
Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
Entries are now open. Who's in? I hope we get last years weather again.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Do you have a link to the entry page, how quick does it fill up, or is it already too late!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Seems to change every year, we did it a few years back and it didn't sell out. Last year I think it was full by the end of Feb
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Beatmaker
    Good to see the 170km starts from Oudenaarde this year. I'd like to do the full version but the 5:15 bus from Oudenaarde is a logistical problem, when we are staying in Ghent and the rest of our group will be doing the shorter routes.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I’m doing the 130km
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Booked up again this year but doing the 237 km distance this time. Really looking forward to doing this again as we had such a good time and ride last year. Staying until Monday so we can watch the pros on the Sunday and have a few beverages after.
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    recommendations on where to stay - I will be driving there with my bike looking to stay over the Friday night.

looking at most booking websites it looks pretty booked up in the area surrounding Oudenaarde.
  • igsta wrote:
    recommendations on where to stay - I will be driving there with my bike looking to stay over the Friday night.

looking at most booking websites it looks pretty booked up in the area surrounding Oudenaarde.
    Stay in Ghent. You’ll be knackered on Saturday evening and not having to travel to eat once you showered will be a billy bonus. We stayed at the Hotel Ondergergen. They were brilliant. For eating book at Amadeus. All you can eat ribs for less the 30 Euro and I mean all you can eat. They just keep coming.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    i need to to the big one I think. i have unfinished business on kopperberg. The last time I took a bike with 39/25T as the lowest gear and stalled.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    igsta wrote:

Last time I did RVV in 2015 with group of three stayed at the BB De Steenhove. Its an excellent place, studio accom with 3 bedrooms with en suites, lounge and kitchenette. Loads of space to park and space in accom for kit and bikes so good for bike prep and security. Its in a small village called Nevele not far from Ghent and near the main road thats easy to get to Oudenaarde from. The owner is very freindly and went the extra mile and layed out an early breakfast and hot coffee for us at about 0330 or some crazy time as we caught the bus to Brugges from Oudenaarde early doors. The owner sold us some awesome local beers as a carryout in our accom, warned us how strong it was. We overslept for breakfast on sunday! If you want a super budget option but a few km from Oudenaarde try the hostel groeninghe in Kortrijk. Cheap as chips and all u can eat buffet breakfast accom from single to 6 sharing bunk bed style. Have a good trip, plan to go again in 2019 as doing Roubaix next Apr!
    Ive been a number of times and never bother trying to get accom near to rvv central oudenaarde or when it was in ninove, iv always got it as near as I could and never had problems just be sure of your route to start and time takes to get there and youl be sorted.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    Thanks for those suggestions. If staying in Ghent, Kortrijk, has anyone taken the trains to Oudenaarde? I’ll prob go by car but good to know if the train is a viable option as roads to Oudenaarde is bound to be packed that day.
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    If you stay in Ghent you can cycle to/back from Oudenaarde avoiding roads and traffic along the canal. It is pan flat, wide, well surfaced and perfect for bikes.
    We did this last year and it only added about 23kms each way.
    A second vote here for Amadeus!!
    Nick
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    igsta wrote:
    Thanks for those suggestions. If staying in Ghent, Kortrijk, has anyone taken the trains to Oudenaarde? I’ll prob go by car but good to know if the train is a viable option as roads to Oudenaarde is bound to be packed that day.
    Havent used the trains over there, the hostel in Kortrijk was close to the train station so could be a good option?
    2015 was cold and very wet and doing the full distance ride was a bit of a test. No way would I have wanted to add on any extra kms by riding to and from!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Beatmaker
    We've taken the train on the day of the race before (ie the Sunday), but not to start the sportive. I'm pretty sure I've seen bikes on it on the outbound journey, so I think they carry them.

Really looking forward to next year, we've pushed the boat out on Hors Categorie entry (free parking, ToF winners at breakfast, free bar, food and massage afterwards) and hospitality in the big marquees on the Kwaremont for the race on the Sunday. Can't wait!
  • Booked onto the 237km route. Driving over with accommodation booked in Ghent. Also staying till Monday to enjoy the beverages and watch the pros :D
  • Anyone taken their best bike for this event and regretted it? I'm getting mixed messages from mates...
  • Beatmaker
    dizzydane wrote:
    Anyone taken their best bike for this event and regretted it? I'm getting mixed messages from mates...

I've ridden Flanders 3 times now, and always on my best bike with no issues. I now have a better best bike, so will be taking my second best bike. I can't recall anyone I've gone with having an issue with their bike. One guy did smash his helmet to bits, and break his collarbone, but his bike was ok. HTH.
  • Good to know. Thanks! :D
  • I'd think twice about taking carbon rims as I've bottomed mine out a couple of times over the cobbles, but other than that go for it.

Enjoy the walks up the Koppenberg and the Paterberg!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I'd think twice about taking carbon rims as I've bottomed mine out a couple of times over the cobbles, but other than that go for it.

Enjoy the walks up the Koppenberg and the Paterberg!

+1 on the carbon rims front. Very easy to drop a wheel into the gaps between cobbles and take a chunk out of the braking track (I've done this) and braking could be very sketchy if it is wet.

Otherwise, assuming you stay upright and are prepared for it to potentially get very dirty, your best bike will be fine.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Beatmaker
    1 week to go! Is everyone looking forward to Flanders?
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Beatmaker wrote:
    1 week to go! Is everyone looking forward to Flanders?

Yes definitely looking forward to it. Doing the longest route this year but due to the weather haven't been able to do as much training as I would have liked to!
    Hoping for a nice dry day!!
  • kingstonian
    Have a long training ride tomorrow to decide if I’m doing Flanders or not. Am just recovering from a hip flexor problem so missed a bucket load of training time.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    Definitely looking forward to it! Not done nearly as much training as I would have liked due to the weather. Taking my winter bike as it has an extra gear :wink:
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Interesting speaking to a number of Belgians riding the E3 Sportive last weekend, who said generally Belgians are getting a bit peed off with the increasing costs of sportives (€14 for E3, not sure about Ronde) and that 2018 will be the first year that more than 50% of the Ronde sportive entrants are not from Belgium.

E3 was great BTW
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Beatmaker
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Interesting speaking to a number of Belgians riding the E3 Sportive last weekend, who said generally Belgians are getting a bit peed off with the increasing costs of sportives (€14 for E3, not sure about Ronde) and that 2018 will be the first year that more than 50% of the Ronde sportive entrants are not from Belgium.

E3 was great BTW

Flanders is twice that.

Excited now, even though it looks a wet one this year!
  • kingstonian
    Epic fun. Wasn’t sure I would be doing it until Weds when my physio signed me off. Only had to walk up two hills, both times because clowns were walking up right across the road and no amount of shouting gave enough space to pass.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Soooo.... rode the RVV for the first time ever on Saturday.

Hooked up with Dizzy Dane and tackled the 139km route. What a total gas the whole day was. We got lucky with the weather and I can thoroughly recommend it as a sportive if you've never done anything like it.

Beer and frites with mayo afterwards were ace.

Here's a quick vid of our experiences

Sometimes

Hopefully it gives you a good flavour of what the day is like.
    FCN = 4
  • Beatmaker
    Did the 175km and it was awesome, as usual. Yet again the weather gods delivered, with only a couple of very light showers. Had to walk the Koppenberg, annoyingly I got passed the steepest section but it was just afterwards where I met the back of the group in front, and every single person was walking.

Cleared all the other Hellingen, had a brilliant day. I had the hangover from hell yesterday though. I have a vague recollection of doing a conga to 'Venga bus' with a load of crazy Dutch in a bar, and singing Delilah on the train back to Gent with some very drunk Belgians.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    What an epic day out! Rode with MTB-Idle and a few others (thanks for documenting it for us :D ). Walked up Koppenberg as there was a huge group blocking the steepest part. Found the climbs/cobbles not to be so bad.

Well done everyone! Glad it wasn't pissing with rain as forecast and will definitely be back again next year.